Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hazel firebow drill and board

Hazel firebow drill and board

Hi all I have collected some hazel from the woods yesterday and it is still green. How long will it take to dry in my understairs cupboard ready to use as a drill and split the other for a board ?

Samuel Hearne
    It all depends on the thickness that you have cut and the temp of the cupboard, I cut hazel for pegs 6 inches long and about 1/2 -3/4 thick but I dry mine in a garage and take about 6 months to dry, hope this helps.

Ah right ! Dahm I was hoping for them to be dry by next month as I hope to try and teach bow drill to my scout group on Easter camp. All the hazel I found otherwise was spungy. Any help

Could try putting it on a radiator/in the airing cupboard and see if it speeds things up but force drying wood can cause it to split also.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    Could try putting it on a radiator/in the airing cupboard and see if it speeds things up but force drying wood can cause it to split also.
    Splitting issue crossed my mind as well. This time of year though I wouldn't have thought it would be too wet as the sap has only just started to rise. The alternative is to get hold of a tree surgeon or log supplier and ask if they wouldn't mind letting you have a couple of well seasoned logs for splitting down.

in the past i have baked wood in the oven succesfully without splitting,all depends on the wood.
    i put on a low heat for a couple of hours,remember to leave the oven door a-jar as moisture is being drawn from the wood.
    the smaller the pieces the better i find but you gotta remember that your not just trying to dry out a wet piece of wood,the moisture/sap is held within the wood in cells so its never gonna be a 100% method compared to the natural process...atb kev

Thanks all

I cut green hazel (though sap wasn't up) last weekend. Dried it on a radiator all week and successfully got an ember with it yesterday.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Are u in uk ? Irl try heating it later. We tend not to put the heating on but will put in the oven. What temp wood you say.

Yep, some would say that Lancashire is part of the UK. I cut the hazel down your way though. Don't know about temperature, my radiators are hot enough to touch but you can only keep your hand on them for about 3 secs.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton