Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea fishing advice needed

Sea fishing advice needed

Hi all

I used to fish for mackerel when i was a kid but I have no kit now.

I don't want fishing to become a hobby so i don't want to spend a fortune on equipment but it would be good to have the ability to go fishing or maybe have the kit in my BOV at all times so i can fish when I get the opportunity.

I was given a telescopic rod once. it extended to a decent beach caster kinda size (11' or so) but it seemed far too flexible and if i got four or five mackerel on there i was sure it would break.

A telescopic rod would be ideal but do decent quality ones exist?

thanks
    aman

I beach cast all the time. Of all the fishermen I've ever seen in our harbour, I've never seen anyone using a telescopic rod. My gf was also given a telescopic rod and like you, I'd not want to try to land 5 mackerel on it.

Good two piece rods can be picked up on ebay. I don't know if there is such a things as a three piece, but at the end of it all, I reckon the reel is going to cost you the most.

The alternative is to get into spinning for which you'll need a smaller rod.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Tribal Elder
    Will it just be smaller fish your going for?

We used to catch some right monsters down near a bridge over a sea loch in the highlands...

If you know any fishermen just ask them if they have any old rods they could flog you.... my dad has about 8 rods he never uses....

hi aman, Have a look at the "SHIMANO EXAGE BX STC MIN TELE SPIN ROD ".I have tried one of these and thought it was great,and i think ill buy one myself come summer.they pack up really small and having fished most of my life both coarse and sea i know shimano make some quality gear. Just to add that its good to cast 4 or 5 feathers and catch on them all but i like to use a bit lighter gear and enjoy the fight of the fish.ie:med spinning rod ,med size fixed spool rod backed to spool lip with around 8lb line,half to one ounce arlesey bomb to a couple of feathers or baits. hope this is some use.
    Carry less by knowing more....

you can get really cheep good quality rods these day, look for a spin rod or light beach caster with a cast weight aroun 2-4oz in 2 piece, telescopic rods make me angry. a large fixed spoool real, some 20lb line, few strings of feathers and a few 3oz weights should set you up for a mackrelling session. look for headlands, piers and areas of deepwater to cast out into, let sink, then big pull with rod, let sink for 2 seconds, 5 winds, big pull, let sink for 2 seconds, 5 winds and so on. the important part is the area and time. dusk always works well for me, fish on incoming tide (start a few hourse before high tide). ask around where mackeral are being cauhgt. remember, mackeral come on shoals sweeping round the coast looking for bait schools. you may not get any for hourse then have 2 consecutive casts where you have 5 mackerel on and then it goes dead. mackeral fishing is about having your feathers in the right place at the right time.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

I understand there is a science to choosing when to fish. It's all dependant on weather, sea state, water clarity, time, tide and light. I fish when I see other people catching fish

I personally prefer a multiplier reel, but that's horses for courses.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Great info guys
    I might take a trip down to Tragos over the weekend and see what they have
    aman

hi marvell, i use multiplyers too but they are hard to learn how to cast with at first and the all the little knobs can be quite baffling if you've never fished before which is why i reccommend a fixed spool reel for beginners as there simple mechanical function is easy to master.

forgot to add in my previous post, if you lose some feathers snagged on the bottom, make note of where you lost them and at what depth roughly and wind fast when you go over this area to stop yourself losing more. and remember to keep jgging the feathers all the way to the rocks as i have caught pollock and garfish which seem to dart out of the kelp right beneath your feet!
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Aman, if you walk down Arwenack Street, coming from Prince of Wales Pier, just before the Harbour Commissioners office there is a street going uphill on your right. Quay Hill (I think) Up there on the left is an anglers shop. Very helpful folk, I bought some fishing gear in there for my emergency 'abandon Ship' bag, last voyage. Also up that street is a second hand/junk shop which may have some cheap rods for sale. saxon.
    Last edited by Saxon; 11-02-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Can't spell...

Ah yes, swanpool street that is and the second hand shop is called Dig and Delve. I will pop in there tomorrow and have a gander

Cheers Saxon
    aman