Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell, Winter

Farewell, Winter

The chill days are quickly fading here in the Northeast US - since the beginning of this month, temps have surged to near 15 C during the day, quite unusual for this time of year. Nevertheless, it seemed a grand day with pleasant weather, and now that most of the snow has melted, I can retire my Sorels until next winter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4620.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	11866
    I made my way to the nearby stream which connects two lakes, its shallow waters once again running. It is deceivingly clear, and I've witnessed many a fool cup their hands, guzzle, and slurp away, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it drains from a large, open water source. I've pulled out all kinds of rubbish from the shores...I can only imagine what gastrointestinal horror awaits those who are careless (or should I say "stupid"?) enough to not filter it.

Name:	IMGP4627.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	11861
    The easiest way to identify American Beech from a distance when the woods are bare is to look for their tan leaves...do Beech leaves remain attached throughout winter on your side of the pond?

Name:	IMGP4637.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	11864
    Nature's auditorium - I brought my Pan-flute with me (sorry, no video ) and enjoyed the wonderful acoustics...I think the wind did, too, as it appears my performance summoned gusts . I really need to get my hands on a decent camcorder sometime.

Name:	IMGP4644.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	11865
    Reindeer moss! Didn't think its range extended this far south, but I saw more patches amongst the sphagnum. It did make a rather tasty nibble.

Name:	IMGP4632.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	11863
    I spent a little while carving these, destined to become pendants with a bit of jute twine for a neck cord. It is also my first attempt at kolrosing, and I engraved an 'Algiz' rune on each piece. I'll post my results later .
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 12-03-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: pics

wow what a spot,you can really see winter has lost its grip,would love to hear you play the pipes/flute.
    our beech lose their leaves though the ones at work hold on till near enough mid winter before the trees bare...atb kev

Very little snow left here in the North of Norway as well. Looks like spring is coming 2 months early. But winter have kicked our faces in later than this before...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    This year the local Beech Trees seemed to hang onto their leaves for ages, and then one good gale and they were all bare.
    That stream does look tempting but I had it drummed into me.."Clear doesn't mean clean" and coming from an open water source makes it even more risky. A beautiful area though and lovely photos Pal, it's great to see the Wheel turning on your side of the World too, blue skies and snow melt.Thanks for the photos.

Looks like a lovely day, I'm sure the panflute tunes would have been a joy to hear. I enjoy carrying one or two of my penny whistles when I'm out.

March is doing it's proverbial "in like a lion..." up here in Syracuse right now. It's been snowing steadily since about 9:00 this morning and looking like we'll get anywhere between 4inches to a foot depending on who's doing the predictions. Temps dropping from 50 degrees (F) yesterday to single digits tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Great looking carvings!

All the best!

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by headshot View Post
    wow what a spot,you can really see winter has lost its grip,would love to hear you play the pipes/flute.
    our beech lose their leaves though the ones at work hold on till near enough mid winter before the trees bare...atb kev
    900 or so acres of woodland, lakes, and meadows . Too bad the town owns it - they don't look after it much...
    Interesting...I do know of a few of the European variety planted in the area as ornamentals, yet they don't retain their leaves . Very curious - I wonder if it depends on the location, such as being in deep woods or in the open.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Very little snow left here in the North of Norway as well. Looks like spring is coming 2 months early. But winter have kicked our faces in later than this before...
    I wouldn't mind another 15 cm...but when the temps rise like this and spring tweeps have returned, winter is pretty much over in my area. Boo-hiss .

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    This year the local Beech Trees seemed to hang onto their leaves for ages, and then one good gale and they were all bare.
    That stream does look tempting but I had it drummed into me.."Clear doesn't mean clean" and coming from an open water source makes it even more risky. A beautiful area though and lovely photos Pal, it's great to see the Wheel turning on your side of the World too, blue skies and snow melt.Thanks for the photos.
    We've had our fair share of strong winds, but with all the hills and valleys, the gusts always change direction and are never consistent.
    The only waters I trust are from springs, and even then I make sure that the source has nothing contaminating it. There is one spring which flows down one side of large hill, and a few years ago it had a deer carcass lying right in the middle of it, probably scavenged by coyotes. Rock seeps are also good, but again one has to be careful.
    It's beautiful now...just wait until summer, and there will be hundreds of idiots at all times who throw their beer cans, water bottles, and doggie **** in plastic bags everywhere.

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    Looks like a lovely day, I'm sure the panflute tunes would have been a joy to hear. I enjoy carrying one or two of my penny whistles when I'm out.

March is doing it's proverbial "in like a lion..." up here in Syracuse right now. It's been snowing steadily since about 9:00 this morning and looking like we'll get anywhere between 4inches to a foot depending on who's doing the predictions. Temps dropping from 50 degrees (F) yesterday to single digits tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Great looking carvings!

All the best!

Josh
    I just started the tin whistle - love the sound, but my clumsy fingers need to get used to the movements .
    Wow ...we had a similar scenario in January - 45 F plummeting down to single digits for two weeks. Right now we're supposed to get rain . All the snow goes to the north.
    Thanks .

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Name:	IMGP4649.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	11867
    Here are the kolrosing results for my pendants...I am quite pleased . They are both Black Oak pieces from part of a large branch which fell back in 2011.

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin