Thread: not all plain sailing

not all plain sailing

i picked up a couple of pieces of lime last night and set to on a spoon this afternoon

three hours later all the shaping was done and was just going to finish off taking a bit more out of the bowl when this happend

a knot had appeared where the handle met the bowl,i should have noticed it sooner but i dident and result was a wasted afternoon,well not totally wasted as i learned to be more observant...atb kev

Doh!

I think we've all done similar...... I know I have more than once!
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Man that sucks, time for a beer and chalk it up to experience.

If it helps, stuff like this happens even with pro woodworkers, I machined out some Sapele for some windows and had a bottom rail snap in half due to an un-noticed fell shake. That was a multi beer day!

Rob.

yep it happens,just hacks you off when it does,i was only thinking while i was cutting away how tightly grained the lime is and how strong it should be.
    bit of history to that wood as well,there is a row of them along the roadside at the quarterbridge which as many will know is a famous stretch of the TT course and just around the corner from me.
    they were planted in the 30s and been witness to many a great race,for some strange reason a local contractor decided to limb 3 of them and took all the lower limbs off,they now look stupid alongside the others,they were fined £2000 as they are listed trees and cant be touched without a licence...the upside is i get some lime to play with with a bit of provedence..i will take a pic of them tomorow so you can see the damage for yourself...atb kev