Thread: Cleaning an old water bottle

Peasant

Question Cleaning an old water bottle

I have found in my loft one of the old black NATO water bottles is was issued with my combat 95 stuff. So it's been sitting (festering) up there for at least 8 years.

My question is. Would cleaning it out with bicarbonate of soda be enough? Or should I use something else?

go get some sterilising tablets or soak it in a 10% bleach solution
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Another good method is the effervescent denture cleansing tablets. I use those on my water bottles, my coffee thermos, and my watch band also. I've been known to leave a nalgene bottle or two to "mature" with left-over liquid in it for quite some time.

Good luck!

Josh

Baby bottle cleaning fluid, Milton's or shops own works a treat! Needs a few swills after to get rid of the bleachiness, but I'm a convert. Use to use bicarbonate but took a while!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernYeti View Post
    go get some sterilising tablets or soak it in a 10% bleach solution

Bleach is an excellent way of sprucing up bottles and suchlike. I've used it for many years on homebrew demijohns which sometimes were in a right state. If bleach don't solve it, nothing will.

Peasant
    Cheers guys.

Samuel Hearne
    After cleaning my waterbottles I leave them to dry out and store them with lids just placed on and not screwed down tight so they can still air.

Bit of bleach (Milton/denture cleaner are bleach based IIRC) or bicarb and I rinse with diluted lemon juice.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I'm a denture tablet fan, works well for me.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Milton sterilising fluid followed by a check on the lid seal make sure they're intact. If they're genuine 58 patt & not copies they should be ok & not leak. Copies tend to leak as they have no proper seal. Nothing too harsh as it may impregnate the plastic & leave a taste/smell there after
    Regards
    David