Thread: SAS kit carry smock information?

SAS kit carry smock information?

I was wondering if any of you guys can enlighten me some more on the SAS kit-carry smock (as sold at the bushcraft store 40-60 quid).

I have a Berghaus waterproof - which is noisy, clammy and has annoying zips, so I tend to wear my snowsled ventile shell jacket in the woods. This however is a bit on the thin side and the pockets are so closely sewn that you can't (comfortably) get anything in them. Yes I am a fussy so and so!

I've been looking at the "SAS" kit-carry smock - which clearly has proper pockets a-plenty, and would be durable, breathable, and windproof, but I'm not sure what fabric it's actually made from -as the only info I can get is "ripstop" material. Is it ripstop nylon, polyester, or poly cotton...or what? Also I want to avail myself of their current offer (40 quid for black or dpm) - but might I end up looking like a police marksman, or army dreamer!

Anyone got one or seen one in the flesh/fabric?
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

bigzee; theyre good jackets, bit like the old SASS windproof when it came out a few blackberry seasons ago! Not sure if the fabric has been re-invented to something proofed but they all used to be cotton/ ventile mixes. Just the same as what issued jackets are made of I expect - you'll need a breathable layer over the top I suspect for moisture drops, but on its own, a great jacket for everyday use and loads of storage!

My preference would be to go for a coyote tan colour which seems balanced enough without looking overtly military - maybe a touch saharan explorer!! What other options you looking at?

I've not seen one, but have been looking at getting one of the same jackets myself. You could drop the guy a line at the Bushcraft Store. They have been very helpful with enquiries I have had in the past on products.

got a black military issue version that i used to wear for 'work' good kit
    [

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I had developed way back in the 1980's (true) the SASS kit carry smock one of the early Mk's of the smock along with the NBC kit carry roll, they were my idea I put to SASS for RECCE use, both were used for active service & Civvie street. I still have both the original SAS Smock & Trousers & the original MkI NBC kit carry roll which was O.G (later DPM) to match the Soldier 85 kit, O.G was to match the SAS belt order Armalite pouches webbing. I developed from the idea as the webbing was changing from 58 pattern to Soldier 85. The NBC roll suggestion was taken from the 58 Patt Poncho Roll, this was later used for carrying my Basha & belts of ammunition among other things around the waist above the belt order or bandolier style, the remaining kit was carried within the SAS/SASS Smock. If memory serves me there were 4 different types of SAS Smock material available Cotton Gabardine, the other three were various levels of windproof fabric fast drying tight weave. SASS since developed the smock into various Mk's later IRR material. Both the Smock & Trousers were treated with Nikwax waterproof fluid wash in, remained breathable & waterproof to a point.
    Regards
    David

Thanks for the help chaps - I'm reassured that the fabric is something sensible and long-lasting. I don't want to go and spend the grand sum of 40 quid and not have it last the rest of my natural life - eh?! I am going to go for the black one on Friday (payday), as the brown does look smart, but that un's another twenty quid, and twenty will get us most of a week's elastictrickery in our house.

Thanks for the informative technical history David - I shall report back with the results of my new purchase when I receive it.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    bigzee I doubt you'll be disappointed. My SAS Smock then was virtually 'rent a tent' kind of still fits keeping it as a souvenir of the good ol' days as the NBC roll
    Regards
    David

Hi Bigzee. Have you got the smock yet? Was thinking of getting one myself and wondered what you thought of it. Cheers.

yes - I have got it (it's currently in my car boot with pockets filled and ready to go on its next outing). See the post "miltec kit carry smock"

Cheers Bigzee.