Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's in your hydration kit?

What's in your hydration kit?

Hey guys, What do you guys normally carry your water in, and also what do you usually bring to boil water in? I normally use a Nalgene with a GSI glacier cup, I also have a U.S. issue arctic canteen kit, and a Swiss M84 Canteen.
    https://www.mainemilitary.com/produc...idproduct=3052
    Best Wishes,
    James

"Do not look to the ground for you next step; Greatness lies with those who look to the horizon."

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    The Platypus pouches seem pretty popular over here, or the black Osprey army issue bottles. I have both but I'm steering towards the Platypus as it's lighter when empty and more versatile depending on how you want to carry it.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Depends where / how long I'm going for but (in total) I have:

2x NATO 58 Pattern bottles - my usual carry
    Platypus 2L stashable water bottle
    Karrimor 3L Sabre Tactical Hydration Pack - I have the yoke which can be used with the Sabre side pouches
    Various ss and alu water bottles - which can be used for foods too (you can also heat the contents next to fire)
    Millbank bag for filtration
    I always boil water on my hobo stove collected from non-sterile sources after filtration
    Last edited by Fletching; 07-02-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added info, spelling

I don't have as many water bottles as knives, but I'm getting there.
    I have:
    2 Nalgene 1qt widemouth bottles
    2 20oz bike bottles
    1 Platypus 1L collapsible bottle
    1 Platypus 3L bladder with hose
    1 Camelback 100oz bladder with hose
    And a couple of other no-name 1qt polycarbonate bottles which leak around the cap.

I can usually find clear water where I'm hiking so filtration (for particulate matter, not purification) is not an issue (gotta love the Adirondacks...) I purify with PA Plus iodine and clarifying tabs. For heating water for cooking, I have my MSR Titan titanium kettle or for a larger group, I have a 1qt ss pot with bail handle.

P.S. I don't usually carry all of my bottles at once. Not unless I was doing a hike across some peaks where I knew I wouldn't have access to water for a day or two...
    Last edited by jbrown14; 07-02-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Added the P.S. :)

For hikes I have a couple of ali water bottles. They are Sigg type from Decathlon. I also have a US canteen and cup that is useful if I want to boil some water. Its no heavier than the normal bottle and is a convenient carry.
    I've tried pouch type systems, but I find the water really tastes of plastic, and in the cold the pipe freezes up so you can't get a drink.
    cheers
    Gareth

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Not much in all honesty! - Bit of a budget water kit for me...

I have a couple of black plastic NATO 58 Pattern bottles but will only ever carry one of them, in addition to that I'll often carry water or milk in Lucozade bottles, I strip the labels off to keep & re-use them. They are surprisingly durable and come in convenient sizes of 380ml, 500ml & 1L bottles.

I prefer having 2-3 smaller bottles with me, I find it convenient for carrying in a coat pocket if I've established camp and I'm off for a walk leaving my camp & some kit behind. Also it's good to have multiple bottles for carrying un-purified/purified water.

A lot of the time I rely on being able to find a clean source of water and then just boil, I've never had any water related illnesses.

I think I will add a Millbank bag to my kit at some stage.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    I have tons of water purification tablets at home but I never really use them when camping, I suppose I do carry them without realising as they weigh nothing I always keep 4 tablets in my first aid kit.

Tribal Elder
    I usually would just drink from a clear stream in the highlands, Just got to watch out for the dead animal upstream...

Trying to get a millbank bag for other trips but the only place that sells them is endicotts and it's in exeter...

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    I usually would just drink from a clear stream in the highlands, Just got to watch out for the dead animal upstream...

Trying to get a millbank bag for other trips but the only place that sells them is endicotts and it's in exeter...
    Phone 'em up. If they have some in stock, you'll get in a couple of days mate. The 'Super+' grade are like new.

Tribal Elder
    Think I'll have to, seems a waste to ring em to send just one millbank bag...Will need to try and see if they have any other stuff that I "need"