Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First wild camp Cairngorms

First wild camp Cairngorms

Hey everyone!

I posted this in the introduction bit of the forum first but thought I'd add it here too, seems more appropriate.

My name's Glenn, I am a passionate hiker but new to wild camping and bushcraft. It would be great if you guys could give me some advice on something that I've been planning for a while now.

I want to go on my first wild camping trip this summer and have just booked a flight to Inverness for the end of June, after a few weeks of reading and planning. So now there's no backing out! I'm going!

With a few months left I want to make the most of the time I have to prepare, including a few practice camps around the area where I live.

When I do eventually go to Scotland, my plan is to start in Glenmore Forest with not too much hiking for a couple of days, getting used to the local area and "learning by doing". Then I want to venture down into Glen Feshie and back, and if I feel up to it maybe attempt to pass the Lairig Ghru at some point. In general I want to stay reasonably low though.

Given that I will have prepared a lot for this in terms of theory and physical conditioning, but will still have next to no experience at all with wild camping, what do you think about this plan? What would be your advice?

I appreciate any help, thanks a lot in advance!

Hey dude.
    First off I would say NAVIGATION NAVIGATION NAVIGATION! Up there it can be hard to follow even marked known footpaths. Make sure you are fully conversant with all the drills required with map reading and compass work. If you're takin a GPS device, make sure you know it intimately!!!

Plan you're route to have easy access to water as much as possible, you will loose a lot of fluids in the summer with out realising it, Do not let yourself get dehydrated at any point, it's a slippery demoralising and dangerous slope once you do.

Know your kit and make sure you've proven it many times so you can set it up and be confident it will hold up to the abuse you're gonna give it.

Mostly, enjoy it!! Know you're limits and be reasonable in your self expectations. Keep us posted on you plans and training :-)
    Winter is coming

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Also make sure you realise what your carrying is all you've got. Be wise when packing as up there the weather changes very quickly. It's important that you realise, when your taking your entire existence for that period in a rucksack, the weight alone will affect your ability. Also I second the navigation point, getting lost isn't an option up there.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks for the quick replies! Navigation is indeed a big issue, orienteering is not my strongest point since most of my hiking has been a long well mapped paths. Will have to learn a lot about this before I go.

As for water, I'm used to drinking loads when I'm out hiking but I'm also used to passing water sources on a regular basis. I guess out in the wild that's not always a given... And because of the already considerable pack weight I will only be able to carry a small amount at a time. Intuitively I would thank that water is plentiful in the Cairngorms, but I am not sure what I am basing that intuition on.

As far as training is concerned I am currently doing a 15km hill hike each weekend in addition to normal strength and conditioning routines in the gym. I take a 20kg pack with me and even though I scaled up to that weight gradually, my knees are not happy afterwards. Hopefully the joints will adapt to the weight, otherwise not sure how I'm going to manage hiking that sort of distance (ideally much more) every day for 10 days. But once I'm in the Cairngorms the priority should probably be to keep it slow and steady, with reasonable self expectations like you said.

Hi Glen, appropriate name for tramping Scotland, Its really all been said, navigation and safety knowledge are your most essential points to work on and you must be totally aware of your own limitations as weight will be a critical factor as well. Map and compass has to be your prime source of nav. not GPS. Good luck Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Assume nothing. Plan in your mind every possible failure. And then prepare for worse. It will happen. Think only that and be ready for it. Your own mindset had to be modest, determined and at the same same time, do not be ashamed to say, this is too much for me.

If your nav skills are your Known weakness, then be realistic about this ten days. May I urge you to the side of caution here because you may put others in harms way if you fail to prepare to a more than proficient level. Mountain Rescue teams are just family folk like you and I. By not being completely skilled in the most basic skill for what you are proposing, I feel you may be destined for a short trip.

That said, try your best to be ready and perhaps hit a course or two to get ready. I hope you really can get squared away in time for it.
    Winter is coming

Hi Glen n Welcome,Remember its not a race or a contest,Just take care,n enjoy youself.Let Common sense prevail,Best Wishes n ENJOY!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

How are those preps coming along Glen?
    Winter is coming

Hey, thanks again for the advice and especially for the words of caution with regard to navigation!

As an enthusiastic newcomer it can be easy to underestimate certain things that may then very suddenly cause major problems out in the field.

Preparations are slow as I only have time on Sundays really, so I did my hike with 20kg on my back last weekend, 4 1/2 hours this time and with lots of hills in it. My knees are not enjoying it though, I must be doing something wrong as I get a pain near the tendon at the back of the right knee. The pain lasts for roughly two days only, but if I get that when I intend to hike (almost) every day for 10 days, that could be an issue. General fitness is otherwise not a problem.

I've scouted out some locations near where I live where I can test my camping gear so will probably camp out one night of the weekend at some point fairly soon and combine that with my weekly hike.

One thing I am currently thinking about is food because it will be impossible to carry enough for 10 days. As I will not wander too far from civilization I won't have to, either, but am wondering what are the most energy dense, compact foods to take. So far I'm thinking various types of nuts and dried fruits, oats, peanut butter, canned tuna for sufficient protein, those kind of things. Don't really want to take chocolate or sugary stuff as I follow a low glycemic diet. Dried fruit is pretty much as far as I'm willing to take that. Not sure how viable this all is though

As for orientation, I still haven't got round to buying a decent compass!! I know how to use one, but I will need to practise a lot. I do not have a GPS device and don't intend to get one. Could you advise on the range of specific skills to practise with map and compass? If it is possible to be more specific than "practise navigating" which is what I'd try once I get my compass.

Edit: Oh another one of my current worries is wet weather. Haven't had a chance to try out walking long distance in the rain, setting up camp in the rain etc. I've slept "face down in the mud" before but that was back in the CCF and only ever for a night at a time, so not sure how well I'd deal with being soaked and not being able to do anything about it. So basically I'm hoping for some rainy weather soon, no luck with that the past couple of weeks...
    Last edited by hiking_dude; 04-03-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Hi Dude,Get a pair of hiking poles!(said "I'd never walk with a stick")But the amount of weight they take of your knees,is amazing!.After trying a pair on a hunting trip,in a very slippy,hilly forest.I was converted,.They are telscopic,so can be shortened,and strapped to pack when not required.Best of luck.
    PS.Remember you are out there to enjoy the countryside n have fun!!!It aint a "forced route march",Marching in rain aint my idea of fun.I'd be inclined to hole up,n put a brew on.Remember you can't just dump your soaking wet cloths n jump into a hot bath.
    Last edited by midas; 05-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown