Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hammock under quilt, do you need one

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanbilly View Post
    Thx Rasputin, been watching him a bit to be honest, but was wondering if the bulk out weighs the cold so to speak and like some have said wouldn't go with out it, I am putting my kit together but don't want stuff I don't need, Is it more of a luxury than a must have
    I'd say must have. Just try hanging an old sleeping bag under your hammock for a test run, and you'll understand what a n amazing difference it makes. I'll take warm and comfortable over cold and miserable any day. My days of freezing my bottom off just to tough it, is over :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Do people that use these also take a sleeping bag? The weight consequences must be high if so?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDogsSlave View Post
    Do people that use these also take a sleeping bag? The weight consequences must be high if so?
    I do and my sleeping bag weighs 3 kilos. Hammock camping is no way of saving weight. Go light, freeze a lot...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I do and my sleeping bag weighs 3 kilos. Hammock camping is no way of saving weight. Go light, freeze a lot...
    Likewise
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

I just bought a hammock too but I'm wondering if I should bother - I've always been warm in my tent with sleeping bag and at 2.2kg for both i was happy with the weight too

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Well I don't tend to bother tbh as I only "hang" during the summer months. During the winter it works better for me to use my bell tent. That's mainly because driving wind, when combined with rain, sleet or snow is no fun. I'd give it a go, but for me, I don't want to drop a load of cash on somthing to gather dust.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheDogsSlave View Post
    I just bought a hammock too but I'm wondering if I should bother - I've always been warm in my tent with sleeping bag and at 2.2kg for both i was happy with the weight too
    I will never sleep on the ground volunteerily again. The comfort of a hammock is a gazillion times better. If I'd have my way we'd chuck out the beds at home and replace them with hammocks too. :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Well I don't tend to bother tbh as I only "hang" during the summer months. During the winter it works better for me to use my bell tent. That's mainly because driving wind, when combined with rain, sleet or snow is no fun. I'd give it a go, but for me, I don't want to drop a load of cash on somthing to gather dust.
    Last winter I lsept trough a polar depression blizzard. I did not even notice the weather until I woke up fully rested around 9 in the morning. I had slept for 12 hours straight...
    In a tent on the ground I'd get a couple of hours sleep max.
    (Roald Amundsen)

I woke up fully rested around 9 in the morning. I had slept for 12 hours straight...
    In a tent on the ground I'd get a couple of hours sleep max.
    Amen to that brother.
    I've tried the ground dwelling thing a few times, but allways woke up every few hours, also it felt like my hips had been sat on by an elephant, maybe that's just my old bones letting me know that comfort is a thing to be taken seriously.

That's why I bought it everyone rages about the comfort level. Is a reflective heat pad ok and warm?