Thread: Wild Camping in Dartmoor

Alone in the Wilderness

Wild Camping in Dartmoor

Hi. I've decided to go to Dartmoor in March to spend one night in a tent. I'm an absolute beginner here so I'm not planning on venturing miles into nowhere or anything. What I'm looking for is to camp within walking distance of a pub so we can spend the afternoon there, walk on 10 mins and then camp up for the night in a fairly islolated spot for the night. Can anyone recommend anywhere I can do this? What do I do about parking? Thanks!

You're best off getting a os map and looking,there are lots of places to go on dartmoor,I go to fenworthy forest or there's a couple Haytor way.other people will come along and give you more ideas.but don't just rely on GPS or google maps,dartmoor especially at night is deceptive.
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Crumbs you are spoilt for choice, I'd head for one of the small copses somewhere, Haytor is great and popular, and there bye lies the problem, depends if you like being woken by a dog walker (as opposed to dartmoor ponies or the ubiquitous sheep) popular doesn't begin to describe it on a sunny sunday afternoor, still handy if you fancy an ice cream.

Fernworthy Forest
    it's by the road, walk straight through the woods, down the hill, accross the river haha
    nice little area there, or just camp in the woods.
    Previously known as Kieran, joined NBC in 2010, then lost my account details last year
    you must succeed mentally,
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.uk/
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.nz/

Fernworthy is a cracking spot; I'd recommend it definitely