Thread: Sorry Nigella..But..

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Sorry Nigella..But..

My trips to the wood tend to run into a number of days, very rarely less than 5 nights a trip at least, so even for a moron like me food can get a bit monotonous. It's usually either rat packs or other boil in the bag stuff. So taking a giant step ( bearing in mind my late Mrs said I was dangerous around food in the kitchen...sorry her kitchen... ) I've been playing with de-hydrated stuff, vegetables mostly.

Towards the end of last trip, 9 nights, I was left with this sort of grub.

Forget the extra goodies, it's the Wayfarer's and other ready meals I thought I might improve on.

Stumbling around the local supermarket I found these..

Only weighs 40-50 gms and 50p+ per packet, does me for 2 meal additions.

I put half a packet in the Kleen Kanteen and add half a Crusader mug (50ml) of hot water, give it a shake and leave it.
    I like onion too so a couple of big spoonsful of dried Onion goes in as well.

This is a "Look what I've found" not a lot on it's own but not a bad taste and I don't think there's any of the loser of the 4.30 race at Doncaster in it....

I think everyone's familiar with this...

I put the dried veg in water a few hours before cooking and just let it soak. Then tip it into the mess tin and bring it to a low boil for a few minutes, drain off any excess water, add the bag meal and heat them together. When ready add the spud.

May not be rocket science, but for me who was always taught ' Food is just fuel..get it down your neck' it's woodland Cordon Bleu...

Cor, very impressive, I will add that to my menu book (a few scraps of paper in me shed ! )

Hey John, Kenny and me just spent a soggy sat night up the woods, We had a pkt of the bolognese with the teeside meetballs and a pack of pre cooked rice. more than enough for 2 and very tasty, nom nom.Shame it chucked it down all day and night !
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

We really don't have it that great over hear with our food options do we! Looking at various vids on Youtube always shows our American cousins with varied dehydrated meal options and trail foods but there is just nothing like it over here. I know there is always the option of 'dehydrate your own' but thats still one hell of an investment and a lot of hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    We really don't have it that great over hear with our food options do we! Looking at various vids on Youtube always shows our American cousins with varied dehydrated meal options and trail foods but there is just nothing like it over here. I know there is always the option of 'dehydrate your own' but thats still one hell of an investment and a lot of hassle.
    Heres one in the UK Jus..... http://www.mountainhouse.eu/ not cheap, but light and not a lot more than some pre-packed meals, but they are tasty. espcially the egg ham and crunchy potato, Ken. Oh and they do freeze dried cheese and fruits as well @ Lio-licious on the same site. knock yer self out!
    Last edited by Rasputin; 22-01-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Heres one in the UK Jus..... http://www.mountainhouse.eu/
    Cheers bud, tried some of them and the Adventure Food ones, and some of them are quite nice, but have you seen some of the stuff they can get in the States? Full on hearty meals with sachets of different sauces that really look appetising instead of hiding it inside coloured bags.

Yeh I know they have a much larger range over the pond, I suppose its a good business catering for paranoid prepers who cache 50 galllon drums of the stuff for armageddon. But hey ho at least we have our sanity, well some of us lol

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    I'd go bankrupt on Mountain House grub..ie: last trip to the wood 9 nights @ £5+...just for a boil in the bag..
    Asda were selling "Look what I've found" for £1 a throw so I stocked up and the dried veg is dead cheap.

I do use rice sometimes Ken, but I got fed up with Chinese wedding cake and me eyes were going funny..
    Think I'll continue playing with the shop bought dehydrated stuff...might buy a big tall cook's hat..wonder if I can get one in camo? ....

I'd go bankrupt on Mountain House grub
    Oh I do agree John, but for the long distance walker who's trying to save weight, or the odd occasion for keeping in the car for a standby (it has a 10 yr shelf life ) its another tool in the box. As well as the onions and veg mix they do a mixed peppers that I also use they are brill in rice. Just going to do a search for camo chefs hat ! lol

I personally like (and buy) the Look What We Found range of grub. But its not enough so i usually use a precooked rice like tilda or such to pad it out. And weight worries aside ya cant beat a corned beef hash IMO
    Time is precious - waste it wisely