Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close Encounters of the Second Kind

Close Encounters of the Second Kind

I was out for a walk today and had two great wildlife encounters.
    The first was, well, a first for me - a firecrest! I saw out of the corner of my eye a flash in the hedgerow beside me. I stopped and looked. I saw a small dumpy bird in the shadows and thought it was a wren. Then it hopped into the light and I could see the bright yellow colour. Unfortunately it didn't last long enough for me to get my camera out. Or it was a goldcrest. It was one or the other and I've never seen either before.

Second enounter was with a fallow deer stag. I came through some woods and up a grassy slope that occasionally has deer grazing on it. As I came out of the woods I couldn't see any deer so started the haul up slope. Then, as I came over the top of a dip, I could see ahead a dark shape, some 300 - 400 yards away. I decided to see how close I could get, using the dip to hide me, and then use the odd scattered trees for cover. Being downwind helped.
    I got to the last of the trees, the stag still some 20 yards away. Hiding behind the tree I slowly took my camera out so I could get a picture. Then, as I peered around the tree, I saw the stag had obviously heard me - he was standing there looking straight at me! Then, as I lifted my camera to get a shot, he fled.
    Nevertheless I managed to get this one quick picture:

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Great shot, thanks for sharing it.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Good photo capture..He's got one ear tuned in to your camera click...

We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Awesome picture!!

What a day! Fantastic!!
    Where were you?
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." - Confucius.

Thinking about it, that shot of the back end actually shows a really good feature for folk to look at in order to ID a fallow - the black horseshoe around the white rump and the tail with its stripe.

Great capture.