Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new axe handle

new axe handle

as you may have read when i joined this site i bought myself a gransfor kubben hatchet,i have got on well with it but recently have found a problem with the length of it or should i say lack off.
    i am repeatley bashing my knuckles while faceing of for a bowl etc and the lack of swing can make it tireing on the arm so with it being the wildlife head i thought i would put the original handle on.
    i have found original handles for sale for £7.50..cheap as chips but thought i should try making one,i have fitted plenty of heads but never made a handle from scratch and when you think about it its an essential skill to have when you have no way of buying one.
    i toyed with what wood to used and rememberd i had a bit of pitch pine sat in the shed,this seemed ideal to me as its stable,straight grained and immensley strong though tough to work with a knife.
    it took me a couple of hours especially the head end just getting a nice tight fit,i left a quarter inch protruding which i batoned a knife cut into followed by a beech wedge.
    i have also purposley canted the head slightly to the left hopefully making it a better hewing axe for a right hander (me).
    if it doesent work out its no hardship to re-do it or even fit a shop bought one but up to now it feels great in the hand,well balanced in all the right places..i will give it a go tonight on a piece of ash..any comments positive or negative will be most welcome...atb kev

Looks right :-)
    If it also feels right, then it's probably right :-)

Well done :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Looks right :-)
    If it also feels right, then it's probably right :-)

Well done :-)
    Agreed

Well done

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

so far so good then,cheers chaps,it feels right in the hand,offsetting the head is something i thought might work..just a bit of fine tuning so to speak,obviously you wouldent do it to a felling or splitting axe,a bit of feedback on that part of it would be great...atb kev

Samuel Hearne
    I like it, I still have a old axe head that needs a handle and at moment I have a piece of ash drying that I will use to make it.

i was going to use ash but to be honest i dident have anything suitable to handall i have in ash is old and knotty....atb kev

just gave it a go in the shed,works a treat,a lot easier to work than the shorter version,not knocking the kubben its just that it has its limitations...atb kev

We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." - Confucius.