Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fallen Giants

Trapper
    always a shame to see the big one's go over, I have a few that have carried on growing in that position, adds a bit of character I think, and enjoy seeing the different fungi growing on them, perhaps one day I'll learn if any can be eaten, although have thought of trying to grow my own on the decaying silver birch stumps we have

The most likely fungi to grow on birch stumps, is birch polypore (birch bracket, razor strop fungus). Apparently edible (needs to be cooked though), but very bitter. Makes good stop (as the name suggests), as well as reasonable tinder and a quick plaster for small cuts.

There was a program on last night, which showed a garden with a "stumpery". Basically a pile of rotting trees stumps, left to gather moss and breed fungi. Looked very attractive, and a nice alternative to a rockery
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

That right there to me is the winter king and the wild hunt riding.

The awesome raw energy of nature and how she can spend 200 years or more building what she can rip apart in seconds and then spend the next century reabsorbing to start again.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.