Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallen Giants

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Fallen Giants

I went to the wood for Yule, locally the weather was mild and settled and I sat long into the night by the Yule fire as the year changed. A few days later on the eve of Christmas, life in the wood took a different turn. Since my return from the wood I've learned that many areas had Hurricane like winds at that time and that was certainly true for where I was.
    The wood was filled with the shriek of the wind and the crash of falling trees and branches, with just a couple of millimetres of tent fabric between me and the chaos outside it sounded and felt like Armageddon but daylight revealed that nothing (large or heavy) had fallen closer than about 500 metres away, so all is well..

Some photos taken when life in the wood returned, if briefly, to normal..

The big old Beech trees fell with a terrible splintering roar and even on that wild night there seemed to be a few seconds of shocked silence immediately afterwards.

300 hundred years of growth ended in a few seconds and the great Queens of the Forest were down. But the cycle of life goes on and the gaps in the woodland canopy will let the light in and new growth will appear.

Even the younger, slender trees like the Ash suffered.

The constant heavy rains have cut new water courses in the woodland floor

And if my boundry stream gets much livelier, I'm going to take up white water rafting...

While I was in the wood I experimented (played) with dehydrated vegetables to bulk out the Wayfarer/ Rat pack type meals I usually eat. Now this may be no big deal for you Bushcraft Gourmet Chefs.. but for me it is a dark art. I'll try to post something about it, once I've sorted and dried my kit out as the last few days in the wood were ..errr Damp!!

I must add..
    Hello and welcome to all those who have joined the forum while I was away in the Ulu..
    Last edited by saxonaxe; 09-01-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: saying hello.

Dang....strong winds indeed! :O
    I've seen similar damage from an early (October) blizzard back in 2011. The trees literally exploded because the outside temperature cooled-down so much...it was sickening to hear the loud popping.
    Looking forward to seeing the results of your experiments .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Tribal Elder
    wind at its most evil
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

That sort of thing happens a lot if trees at the end of the woods are cut down/cleared. The outer trees have grown up in windy conditions, whereas the inner trees are sheltered from most of it. When you remove the outer trees, wind whistles through the inner ones and can do this exact thing. Many people don't think of this, especially councils when they change road layouts, widen paths, or remove trees with suspect branches.
    Also, after a certain age, mature trees weaken in locations where nutrients in the soil are in short supply. This together with heavy rains softening the ground, lead to many apparently healthy trees coming down
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Good to see you back in 1 piece John, was begining to worry about you out there in that hoolie hope you enjoyed the peace and not so quite, will speak soon atvb,Ken ps. have you been down to your boat since you got back ? is all well ?
    Last edited by Rasputin; 10-01-2014 at 01:31 AM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Yep, second night on the boat since Yule, Ken. All is well with my boat, although the pontoons themselves need some serious maintenance. The continual movement of some of the bigger boats tugging on their moorings in the high winds and tides has pulled out or loosened many of the piles/ bollards. There's a 60 ton boat tied to a tree here mate!!..
    I'll check your boat later when I get a chance. (and turn my 'phone on for the first time since 20/12/13.... )

great pictures, same thing has been happening in my local wood too.....sad to see

all those years and gone in one gust of wind...they are the same size/age as the one that came down in the back garden at my work,differance is it landed on my flower beds and i had to move the flippen thing piece by piece ..glad your xmas in the woods went well,sounds like the perfect way to spend it..atb kev

always seems a shame, especially when you think most of England was forest ?
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Sixty odd years ago I can remember being really upset when a big Oak tree that I seemed to spend most of my summers climbing in, sleeping under and even talking to..( I know.. I know, even then the Vicar had given up on me..) was felled by a bad storm. Not a good photo with a Kodak Box Brownie, but if you look closely you'll see that on that day I had visitors who were allowed to climb 'my' tree..

A lady who understood, told me about Mother Earth's plan for all living things, and now although I don't like to see the big trees lying on the woodland floor, I know it's the beginning of a new purpose.

Just the way I look at it..