Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: When did you last hear a Cuckoo?

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up Heard One Today!!!

Couldn't believe it - made my day, year & decade! It must be the first time I've heard one in over a decade.

I was sat in Carnanton Woods (St Mawgan, Cornwall) with Matt & Phil having a brew & doing some whittling when we heard it numerous times, it got closer as it went on.

Was magical experience as it reminded me of playing in the woods near my home when I was a youngster and like I say I can't remember hearing one since I was a youngster.

For anyone who is interested they are on the RSPB Red Status, which means the Cuckoo is the following... (or worse)...

Red list criteria
    • Globally threatened
    • Historical population decline in UK during 1800–1995
    • Severe (at least 50%) decline in UK breeding population over last 25 years, or longer-term period (the entire period used for assessments since the first BoCC review, starting in 1969).
    • Severe (at least 50%) contraction of UK breeding range over last 25 years, or the longer-term period
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

while walking across Exmoor near cloutsham on Thursday night not only did We listen to one for the whole walk but we saw one as well. I hear them all the time in Oxfordshire but in all my years have never actually seen one.

I love Exmoor!!!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Heard one last week whilst running around one of the clay pits near St Austell. I can't remember the last time I heard a cuckoo but was chuffed to bits to have heard this one.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Heard one last week whilst running around one of the clay pits near St Austell. I can't remember the last time I heard a cuckoo but was chuffed to bits to have heard this one.

Martin
    Which pit Martin? a lot of folks slate the clay industry, but I've seen copius amounts of wildlife in and around them. Including a stoat taking down a rabbit right in front of me not 15 yds away!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Blackpool Pit Phil. Right at the end of the Blackpool Clay Trail. Was a lovely evening mate and just rounded off by the sound of the cuckoo.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Blackpool Pit Phil. Right at the end of the Blackpool Clay Trail. Was a lovely evening mate and just rounded off by the sound of the cuckoo.

Martin
    Sweet

Heard one today 0500 hours just after i had been woken up by a lamb rummaging in my rucksack
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Heard one today 0500 hours just after i had been woken up by a lamb rummaging in my rucksack
    Spend a few nights on the edge of the south moor, Dartmoor, you'll hear loads of them down there, even the young uns that haven't quite mastered the call properly.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

" Charcoaler "
    Its become a bit of an obsession with me , we have the BTO come to my place to monitor , and the earliest in 40 years is the 9th of April , this year the 12th of April , at the moment as Adam says all day long !! one of them even sounds gay !! (no offence intended , to gay cuckoos )
    The member formerly known as Marcus Absent

That's it now, you've completely alienated the "alternative" cuckoo population
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel