Thread: herons

herons

got a couple of shots the other day at work,we have a heronrey(i think thats how you spell it)and can have upto 20 herons in the front field at one time,get the odd egret with them aswell.
    they nest in the woods,usually start sitting around march time and the noise sounds prehistoric.
    i took a couple of pics and thought i would just share them with you all...atb kev

a pic from last summer showing a few in the paddock

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Love the shot of them all in the field. I have never seen that before.. Heronries (or however you spell it) are always worth stopping n taking some time for a nosey. Like you say the sound is kind of prehistoric. There is one down the road from me in Looe and the herons and egrets are all fighting for space. Why they don't just use the next tree is beyond me, they all want the same tree..

as well as nesting they come and shelter when the weather is bad,i have seen the whole perimeter of the field laced in herons before now,hell of a sight.
    i will try and get some picks of the choughs aswell,see them fly over everyday,we have about 160 breeding pairs over here...atb kev

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by headshot View Post
    as well as nesting they come and shelter when the weather is bad,i have seen the whole perimeter of the field laced in herons before now,hell of a sight.
    i will try and get some picks of the choughs aswell,see them fly over everyday,we have about 160 breeding pairs over here...atb kev
    I must get down West n see our Choughs. I have never seen one before..
    Are they doing ok on the Island there..?

oh yea,we dont bat an eyelid at them cause we see them everyday on the coast.
    i have a flock of 10-15 fly over the wood at work everyday,they have a very distingtive call and very broad wingtips which look a bit gappy.
    a friend of mine has a charter boat and takes a lot of birdwatchers out around the calf of man,he laughs when he tells me how these holidaymakers from the uk are jumping up and down with excitment because they just seen about 20 choughs never mind just 1 and he is so used to seeing them he doesent even point them out to anyone lol...atb kev