Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chin straps down

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Chin straps down

For the folk close to and certainly North of the border, particularily in the West, there's something nasty coming in from the Atlantic this weekend. Just in case anyone's planning a night under the stars..

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    It has been blustery around here North of the Border. We're a hardy lot used to it..
    Regards
    David

80mph winds forecast here for tomorow...no for me this weekend,chainsaws in the van in case of blocked roads cause i have places to go people to see ...atb kev

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Not a good time to do the Aonach Eagach then..

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Not a good time to do the Aonach Eagach then..
    Especially for any softie Southerners... It's still West of Ireland, but about 9-10 ish in the morning there could be 45-50 knots in the Western Isles.....

We have had one of those once a week here so far this winter...
    The weather usually stabilizes in january/february into clear skies and deep cold....but last year I people where fishing on thick ice on the lakes in mid November. This year the lakes are not frozen over yet...
    Plenty of snow on the ground though, despite all the rain we have gotten, as the weekly arctic depression leaves a lot of that, before the rain starts. Right now the ground is covvered in a thick sheet of ice. And on top of that there is dry snow. I have trouble getting out of the driveway with the car.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Seas very rough here and very high winds about 80mph this afternoon. I have the sea on one side of my cottage, about 500m away and a forest on the other, so a bit of beach combing and some free firewood on the cards for next week! Tomorrows to be as bad if not worse.

Yep, forget about about going Hang gliding tomorrow Jock, stay battened down mate..

Aye, I've worked in the woods in some capacity all my life and I was just thinking today I've never seen as much windblown lying about the forests, More storms these last few years than I recall and the forestry commission aren't over quick to clear the windblow I hope folk realise how dangerous it can be, stay safe in the forest and away from the windblow! I sound like a right old man but I can see it from my window and folk walking about with wee dogs right underneath newly blown stuff this afternoon..

we call the leaners where a blown tree is resting on another "the widow makers",they are that dangerous to cut and unpredictable...got a load to sort out at work,not looking forward to it...atb kev