Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jetboil

I have just ordered a Jetboil SOL Advanced Cooking System; http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/so...ng-system.html

Not bacause I have changed my mind about Jetboil - or gas cartridge stoves for that matter. But, because we, due to popular demand, has started selling Jetboil at the store where I work. I am quite curious to see whether I will actually get to use it much.

If you are walking and just want a quick and very easy brew, then these are perfect.

I like my mini trangia for taking out for the day. It's simple with nothing to go wrong. Weight is no more than a jetboil and gas canister but it does take longer. I made a windshield out of a disposable foil baking tray which helps with boil times.

The Jetboil is my choice for work mainly cause I only boil water and boil in the bag meals. In my bushcraft I use anything from Meths to large wood fire depending on time and mood I prefer something with a proper flame so I can relax in front of the bushcraft tv.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-JETBOIL-FL...item1e62ce3b47

The new one has a tripod base for extra stability..it says
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

And they make a pot stand to accommodate larger...erm...pots too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Jetboil-po...item51935cf14d

It does mean it's even more expensive though

Moving away from the "Jetboil" central thread a little more here... but, Trangia and Tatonka meths burners with a small wick placed in the middle of the fuel well will improve boil times significantly (and burn meths faster of course) so good old meths burners do have some versitility.

That said, I like the look of the Jetboil, it's a bit of design icon I think, which my Tatonka + wick + cooking foil windshield + peanut feeder mesh pot stand isn't ...but hey ho...!
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    Moving away from the "Jetboil" central thread a little more here... but, Trangia and Tatonka meths burners with a small wick placed in the middle of the fuel well will improve boil times significantly (and burn meths faster of course) so good old meths burners do have some versitility.

That said, I like the look of the Jetboil, it's a bit of design icon I think, which my Tatonka + wick + cooking foil windshield + peanut feeder mesh pot stand isn't ...but hey ho...!
    I don't think there is a particular stove that everyone likes, if there were, they would only sell the one type. I wouldn't buy the jetboil, just because of the price, if it was £20 I might have had a punt. Like you say though, it's a design icon and people love gadgets. I'm pretty lazy really. I'll take either my warrior field stove or my inferno if I'm out and about. If I'm at a camp I'll use my twig burner, or an open fire if one is allowed. And the pop can stove for stealthing, due to the tiny size (with enough meths for a couple of brews). Wouldn't use a meths stove for a trip that lasted more than a day, as the amount of fuel needed starts to get heavy.

So back to the jetboil...lol...if it was cheaper I might buy and use one for a roving weekender.

I bought mine when it first came out and it cost me the grand sum of £40 not expensive amount it costs now I was a lucky one, I have only had to replace the igniter once and I do have the pot stand and the tripod legs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkyPete View Post
    I bought mine when it first came out and it cost me the grand sum of £40 not expensive amount it costs now I was a lucky one, I have only had to replace the igniter once and I do have the pot stand and the tripod legs as well.
    How long do you find the canister lasts?