Thread: got lost in the woods today!

got lost in the woods today!

Hi all, thought id just share a little situation that happen to me today (16/11/13) I took the dog for a walk through a highly wooded area that we always go to at the weekend. It was getting on abit and dusk was well under way so things will naturally appear diffrent. I should also add at this point that to get in the woods you have to enter through a very narrow gap in a wildrose headge row. After we did our walk we turned round to head back to the exit. Well it was like another world! I could see afew familiar trees because of there shape/type, so I headed to them thinking I new were the exit was from them but as I headed to were I thought it was I just walked in a big circle and was back to the bloody tree! Got to admit this was were that gut panic started to show its self because I could of sworn the exit was were I had try to find it but I just headed into deeper woodland before coming back to the tree. I was complete at a loss as to which direction the exit was. It was at this point I knew I had to keep the panic down in the gut and not let it over take my breathing! Should also tell you that these woods are very remote! So from this familiar tree I looked 5/10 meters infront, picked a bush/tree directly infront of me and walked to that then repeated, no sign of exit, turn back followed the trees/bushes till I came back to the familiar tree. Faced anothe direction and repeated the process. FINALLY after 4 yes 4 diffrent directions I found a holly bush which is 2meters from the exit! By this time it was night and black in these woods. It was at this point I realised I didnt do what I should of known better to do and that was keep a eye on your direction and the light. A big sigh of relief and a slap on my hand from myself and we were back heading to the car. I had items on me that I always take with me, fire kit, water bottle (full) and multi-tool with paracord bracelet. So I would of been fine if I had to stop and settle for the night but its the whole thing of knowing the exit was close but I just couldnt find the bloody thing ha ha lessons learned!!!

Wot was you'r dog doing in all this,just getting draged along,why did'ant you give it it's head tell it home and follow it?

Wish my dog was that clever ha ha hes a beagle so yes very good scent dog but theres loads of squirrels and rabbits in the wood so his nose is on them.

Ya but you'r dog only hunts when you tell it to or dus it just run wild in the woodsor off the lead.

Hes on lead. Just wants to sniff where they've been and wants to dig were they have. Maybe he could of saved me all the bother after all.

Been there, done that :-)

The sollution:

Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hi fishyfolk, easily done ha ha you hit the solution on the head there ha ha great youtube channel by the way, I subbed you back

It's so easy to do, I have also got a little disoriented (well OK totally lost) on one occasion but it does remind you of just how easy it is. Even in familiar surroundings. Like you though lesson learned. at least until the next time.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

It is so easy to do just a few minutes of not paying attention and all of a sudden you aint got a clue where you are ha ha definitely learned my lesson, untill next time bj ha ha

You got back and are fine so no problem, Fishyfolk has given you the solution. However you mastered a panic attack and overcame your own uncertainty, excellent. How about going into the woods with someone to guide you while you are blindfolded. Its a good way to learn a lot and to practice up on map and compass abilities.
    English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God.