Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First three days of deer season

Smile First three days of deer season

Hey lads, had to come out of the bush early this year to attend to some work..
    Three days into the deer hunt we have only 4 things hanging in the skinning shed: 2 bucks, 1 doe, and 1 scrawny little bear.
    What lacks in quantity is made up in quality...the 2 bucks are huge...a 9 point and an 11 point; real beauties.
    I think the deer population is into a low cycle, we're not seeing very many... the bush is lousy with bears though, my buddy
    scared one up and told me on the radio there was a 'big bear comin' your way'.... 2 minutes later I had a 300 pound bear
    come over the hill in front of me at about 30 mph. Up till then I was standing on my watch waiting for the doggers to come through
    and just thinking about how cold my feet were...amazing how having a big fat bear blow past you a few yards away can make you forget
    all about damp feet! I think we saw in total about 4 different bears in only a few square miles of bush..
    And then there's all the other great stuff about the hunt; too much food, too much beer, and hanging out with your pals in a place
    where you can wear your muddy boots at the supper table.

Last edited by treefrog; 07-11-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Nice one (3) Jack.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Good to see you are still out n about mate. I would love to come over there n do some hunting and beer drinking with you..

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Good to see you are still out n about mate. I would love to come over there n do some hunting and beer drinking with you..
    Right back at you, pal...I'd like to see what you guys over there get up to at your bushcraft meets.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Superb, you live the life we dream about !

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Superb, you live the life we (Some of us) dream about !
    The above needed qualifying...

May I respectfully suggest that this post should be under Hunting? Just a thought...Avid 9 year old female Bushcrafter and a regular forum viewer is not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    The above needed qualifying...

May I respectfully suggest that this post should be under Hunting? Just a thought...Avid 9 year old female Bushcrafter and a regular forum viewer is not impressed.
    Sorry, I guess I forgot there was a hunting section. If anyone wants to shift it over there, I'm cool with that; got no idea how to do it myself, though.

Jack

Thread relocated. Appologies on this one as Mods should have noticed the mistake on this and moved it over earlier.

thats a nice bit of meat tree frog,my wife has been to ontario but i have never been abroad,would love to sample what you have over there when time and funds permitt.
    what happens to the bear?does the meat get used,i know i would use every part of the deer..great post,thanks for sharing...atb kev

Quote Originally Posted by headshot View Post
    thats a nice bit of meat tree frog,my wife has been to ontario but i have never been abroad,would love to sample what you have over there when time and funds permitt.
    what happens to the bear?does the meat get used,i know i would use every part of the deer..great post,thanks for sharing...atb kev
    Personally, I'm not the least bit fond of bear meat, but a couple of the guys at the camp do like it...and this hide is going to be a rug I think...
    This bear had very little fat on him and would've had a rough winter, so thinning him from the herd was no loss. The other ones we saw this year were
    fat and ready for the den. You would be surprised how little a bear hide is worth; the fur auction will only buy ones skinned for taxidermy i.e. ears,
    face, claws left on... which takes forever to do, then you get about $100 for it. Therefore, when I see a bear in the bush, I just let him go on his way!

Jack