Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermal underwear

Peasant

Thermal underwear

My family are taking a trip to lapland in a few weeks - taking the kids to see Father Christmas! I've been told it will be cold and I will need thermal undies!

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what might be good. I seem to be unable to wear some man made fabrics as the itch too much- found out on a last trip out

What other alternatives do people use?

Merino wool is king...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Merino wool mixtures are good. Some say they are itchy but I use merino base layers and find them excellent.

As above, merino wool garments are worth looking at and if 100% wool will irritate you, you can get a blended garment.

Kitting out the entire family in pure merino base layers will certainly help keep you warm, but will cost you a bob or two (£100 - £200). If cost is an issue, you may want to have a look at cheaper blended clothing.

As a renowned cheapskate and bargain hunter, it will not be much of a surprise that the recommendation I am going to give you is a low cost option, but you (and other reading this) might appreciate it.

Mountain Warehouse do very reasonably priced 80/20% Merino / Polyester base layers, which have helped keep me warm in -0 temps. And being Mountain Warehouse there is usually some deal or other, BOGOF, BOGOHP etc that often let you get a blended top and bottom for the same price as just either a 100% top or bottom.

Now obviously the far south west of Cornwall is not likely to experience the same low temps as northern Scandinavian, so if a native or frequent visitor says shut up you numpty, cheap is not an option, I will happily defer to them. But if you are sensibly applying the layer principal (ideal with existing clothing so no extra last minute expense) then an option worth investigating?

Regardless, happy shopping and enjoy your trip
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    As above, merino wool garments are worth looking at and if 100% wool will irritate you, you can get a blended garment.

Kitting out the entire family in pure merino base layers will certainly help keep you warm, but will cost you a bob or two (£100 - £200). If cost is an issue, you may want to have a look at cheaper blended clothing.

As a renowned cheapskate and bargain hunter, it will not be much of a surprise that the recommendation I am going to give you is a low cost option, but you (and other reading this) might appreciate it.

Mountain Warehouse do very reasonably priced 80/20% Merino / Polyester base layers, which have helped keep me warm in -0 temps. And being Mountain Warehouse there is usually some deal or other, BOGOF, BOGOHP etc that often let you get a blended top and bottom for the same price as just either a 100% top or bottom.

Now obviously the far south west of Cornwall is not likely to experience the same low temps as northern Scandinavian, so if a native or frequent visitor says shut up you numpty, cheap is not an option, I will happily defer to them. But if you are sensibly applying the layer principal (ideal with existing clothing so no extra last minute expense) then an option worth investigating?

Some of the top manufacturers are now using blended yarns as the merino is warm and naturally odour resistant, and modern fibres are excellent for moisture wicking. The difference is that the top branded stuff will set you back £50+ for a tee shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Some of the top manufacturers are now using blended yarns as the merino is warm and naturally odour resistant, and modern fibres are excellent for moisture wicking. The difference is that the top branded stuff will set you back £50+ for a tee shirt!
    The oudour resistant part is very nice. All my artificial fibre base layers stink after a day out (I sweat a lot). While the wool ones are fine.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post

They will probably be fine :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    My family are taking a trip to lapland in a few weeks - taking the kids to see Father Christmas! I've been told it will be cold and I will need thermal undies!

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what might be good. I seem to be unable to wear some man made fabrics as the itch too much- found out on a last trip out

What other alternatives do people use?
    How old are the kids?
    (Roald Amundsen)

Peasant
    I've two girls - age 8 and 3. My lovely wife has sorted base layers for them already.

Typical isn't it. I mentioned we had better get everything sorted for the trip only to find she had already ordered everything in for herself and the girls. Nothing done for me! When I pointed this out she said that because I was fussy she felt I should order my own! Fussy, I mean, just because some man made materials make me itch and I complained constantly about it on our last camping trip doesn't mean I should be treated like this, does it?

Thanks for the suggestions about merino wool and mountain warehouse. i'll check them out as i have a shop nearby.

Out of interest does anyone use silk base layers. Wondered whether they could be a fairly cheap alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    I've two girls - age 8 and 3. My lovely wife has sorted base layers for them already.

Typical isn't it. I mentioned we had better get everything sorted for the trip only to find she had already ordered everything in for herself and the girls. Nothing done for me! When I pointed this out she said that because I was fussy she felt I should order my own! Fussy, I mean, just because some man made materials make me itch and I complained constantly about it on our last camping trip doesn't mean I should be treated like this, does it?

Thanks for the suggestions about merino wool and mountain warehouse. i'll check them out as i have a shop nearby.

Out of interest does anyone use silk base layers. Wondered whether they could be a fairly cheap alternative.
    They wil need middle layers too. Go for thick wool sweaters and wool pants/ trousers for both kids. As the top layer, go for a whole suit for the small one. Bibs and bracer type for the older one.
    You have to make them take off the middle layer top everytime you go inside or they will start to sweat, and get gold when you go outside.

Make sure their ears are covered at all times outside. The small ones will lose his mittens all the time. Secure them with a yarn string between them (it will break under pressure). Run the string from mitten to mitten up the arm, around the back of the neck. And put them on BEFORE you put on the top layer. This way the sleeve of the top will cover the mitten and help keeping them from falling off. Small hands are incredible hard to get into mittens.

Thick wool socks in the boots. Make sure their boots are large enough to accomodate thick socks.

Etcetera ad infinitum
    (Roald Amundsen)