Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A toast..

Thats great news, glad that he is well down the road of recovery

I worked for 32 years in the NHS - it undoubtedly has its problems and changes are needed. But - and its a big but - it gets far more right than wrong and we are so lucky to have access to a system like this, not just for the traumas and life threatening events, but for the mundane and the maintenance.
    70% of NHS healthcare is delivered outside of hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Major respect to the NHS and all that were involved in the care of your son at the time. I have had much more than my monies worth from the NHS over the years and can't thank them enough.

Recently there has been a very sad incident where a local Paramedic went missing, his personal belongings were found at a notorious suicide spot and he was recovered a few weeks later. Sadly, too many front line workers are suffering from PTSD,
    mainly because it is not picked up on in the early stages of the illness. With massive cuts to the NHS budget and restructuring of front line services, these sorts of incidents will increase until something is changed.

If we personally know of anybody in this area of employment, keep and eye on them, just in case.

I'm pleased that your son will make a speedy recovery Saxon Axe, send him best wishes from my family and me.
    A few of the guys in my service knew this particular para. I didn't know him but there but for the grace of god etc.
    we tend to get nothing but praise from the people we treat but that doesn't stick with you like the abuse, the violence or the times when despite your best efforts things go badly. after a shitty job most we tend to get is 10 mins to have a cup of tea and a clean up then back into the mix (to be honest we're our own worst enemies with most putting on a brave face and just cracking on rather than taking the time out.), with demand and other pressures it pretty much relentless (book on at 1930, out by 1935 back at 0720 or later on nights).....and I only have to do it until i'm 67...

Good health to yer son, he'll get there in the end, our daughter was given "minutes" to live in June, thanks to
    the NHS she is still here with us. Every day is a bonus for her, the nurses never seem to have a break, we thank them all.

Every dealing I have had with the nhs has made me hate this top heavy wreck of an organisation more and more. In the last 2 weeks I have buried my father and father in law.... both failed by the nhs BIG time, as was/is my mother who is now in a care home.

@ saxonaxe: Best wishes to your boy and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Every dealing I have had with the nhs has made me hate this top heavy wreck of an organisation more and more. In the last 2 weeks I have buried my father and father in law.... both failed by the nhs BIG time, as was/is my mother who is now in a care home.
    My sympathies Fraser; I'm sorry for your loss. I think the postcode lottery affects the NHS very much and you've suffered as a result. Hopefully things will get better for our and the next generation... Hopefully.

As with anything in life there is good and bad, once when my mother was in, 1 shift left her all day in a side ward with no water. When I came to visit there was 4 nurses stood in a corner giggling and tittle tattling. A few days later a different shift, the nurses were all over her like a rash. Some people care others dont. when I had my by-pass and Hernia ops I was treated like a star, I had my BP in Stoke and you know what press they have had over the last few years, but I could not fault my care if I tried, the food..oh yeh, but not the care. 11 years later and Ime still here thanks to the NHS...... dead man walking and talking !
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    My sympathies Fraser; I'm sorry for your loss. I think the postcode lottery affects the NHS very much and you've suffered as a result. Hopefully things will get better for our and the next generation... Hopefully.
    Thank you Bernie.
    Yes it seems to be a postcode lottery indeed and if you are unlucky enough to be in the postcodes served by Raigmore hospital in Inverness and NHS highland then poor you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    As with anything in life there is good and bad, once when my mother was in, 1 shift left her all day in a side ward with no water. When I came to visit there was 4 nurses stood in a corner giggling and tittle tattling. A few days later a different shift, the nurses were all over her like a rash. Some people care others dont. when I had my by-pass and Hernia ops I was treated like a star, I had my BP in Stoke and you know what press they have had over the last few years, but I could not fault my care if I tried, the food..oh yeh, but not the care. 11 years later and Ime still here thanks to the NHS...... dead man walking and talking !
    I'm glad you had a better result in your dealings with the NHS mate.
    Last edited by Fraser; 02-10-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo

A iv gotta say is that unfortunately iv had the pleasure of lots of stays at Hinchingbrooke hospital, And all iv gotta say is from porters an ambulance staff, to doctors and nurses they have all been AWESOME!!

I very much appreciate what they do on a day to day basis, they have kept me going through some really bad spells and more importantly they have brought my 4 wonderful daughters into the world safely!!

Well done nhs!!