Thread: Dyeing leather that's already been dyed

Dyeing leather that's already been dyed

Bought four sheets of cowhide for a notebook cover project. The leather has already been dyed brown, but I would like to go even darker.

Here's an image of the actual leather I bought:

Can you please advise on type of dye and any preparation needed.

Thanks.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Thanks, BJ. I did do an internet search but oddly I couldn't find anywhere that explained how to dye an already dyed leather.

Looks like I'll be spending even more money then.

would a dark shoe polish not work?? like a liquid type from kiwi or something of the like

cheers

Madz
    I'm a simple man, pleased by simple things...................Nature wins.

Take your time and do not rush, take in every thing while out in the brush.

Quote Originally Posted by MadZ View Post
    would a dark shoe polish not work?? like a liquid type from kiwi or something of the like

cheers

Madz
    Funny you should say that, MadZ. I was in Tesco Home today and picked up a tin of black Kiwi shoe polish, but it's the rub on type. Is that no good?

Also, watched a few vids on youtube showing how to make Vinegaroon by soaking metal scour pads in white vinegar for a few days and then dipping the leather in the strained liquid. The examples all used undyed leather, so I'm not sure how successful it would be on already dyed pieces. It also turns the leather jet black, rather than the dark brown I'm after.
    Last edited by OurJud; 14-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Oooh, thanks, Rasputin. I like the price too!

Quote Originally Posted by OurJud View Post
    Funny you should say that, MadZ. I was in Tesco Home today and picked up a tin of black Kiwi shoe polish, but it's the rub on type. Is that no good?

Also, watched a few vids on youtube showing how to make Vinegaroon by soaking metal scour pads in white vinegar for a few days and then dipping the leather in the strained liquid. The examples all used undyed leather, so I'm not sure how successful it would be on already dyed pieces. It also turns the leather jet black, rather than the dark brown I'm after.
    the vinegar method might work but will smell like absolute junk for weeks, used some to stain some wood, try it on some oak and see what happens you get some cool effects, from purple to black like you mention
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Yes, worth considering. Although I think that by the time I've bought the steel scrubs and vinegar I'll have spent almost as much as I would have on one of those all-in-one dyes Rasputin linked to.

Apparently you can use water rather than vinegar - just so long as you get the rust of the steel.

dont go buying steel use old nails from old pallets and that sort of thing, water will work just takes longer