Thread: Faux Midori Traveler's Notebook

Faux Midori Traveler's Notebook

I'm about to make one of these. It's my first project and appeals to me because it looks fairly straight forward (not ready for stitching yet).

What I'd like to ask is, aside from stitching, what ways are there that I could 'finish' the edges of the leather, rather than just leaving them raw. I keep hearing the word burnishing banded about. Yes, I could look it up, but thought I'd come and ask the experts.

Thanks in advance.

Bit more info I forgot to include. The leather I bought is already tanned. Does that mean I can't tan it myself as I'd like it to be darker than it is.

Last edited by OurJud; 13-09-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Welcome to the forum...Im sure one of our leather buffs will be along to give you some ideas..In the meantime could you please visit the intro thread http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...-the-Community! and say hi to the forum members, whilst there could you also take the time to read the 'sticky' post on forum ettiquette

.........once again welcome
    [

Certainly, Sapper. Thanks and hello to you.

[

I like it! I'm also new to leather work myself..., so I'm looking forward to see what your making...
    The inner tube of bicycles are also a nice material to work with...
    I saw bookcovers made out of it, which looked very cool!

[QUOTE=OurJud;96318]I'm about to make one of these. It's my first project and appeals to me because it looks fairly straight forward (not ready for stitching yet).

What I'd like to ask is, aside from stitching, what ways are there that I could 'finish' the edges of the leather, rather than just leaving them raw. I keep hearing the word burnishing banded about. Yes, I could look it up, but thought I'd come and ask the experts.

Thanks in advance.

Bit more info I forgot to include. The leather I bought is already tanned. Does that mean I can't tan it myself as I'd like it to be darker than it is.

*Hi & welcome,
    The tanning process is not the same as dying and you can dye the leather a darker colour than it is at present.
    Edge finishing (burnishing) involves slightly dampening the edge and then rubbing the edge with a wooden or plastic round edged implement . This will darken the edge and make it completely smooth. Hope this helps.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Jcorn, I'm intrigued by the inner tube book covers. How do you make a book cover from an inner tube, given that an inner tube would only be about three inches wide when cut and laid flat?

BJ, thanks for the advise. I'm not sure if the leather I bought has been tanned or dyed (I don't know the difference). This is a link to the leather I've bought and I'd really appreciate it if you would take a look and tell me if I could still dye this and make it darker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEATHER-PI.../111159928248?

You can sew it together, to get bigger pieces using a normal household sewing machine ...,or you can use it for a belt as it is...
    And it's for free! You just have to go to your local bicycle shop and ask for it, because they throw it away anyway ...
    Last edited by jcornelius6; 13-09-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OurJud View Post
    Jcorn, I'm intrigued by the inner tube book covers. How do you make a book cover from an inner tube, given that an inner tube would only be about three inches wide when cut and laid flat?

BJ, thanks for the advise. I'm not sure if the leather I bought has been tanned or dyed (I don't know the difference). This is a link to the leather I've bought and I'd really appreciate it if you would take a look and tell me if I could still dye this and make it darker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEATHER-PI.../111159928248?
    This has been dyed and it should be perfectly feasible to darken it by using a darker shade. I have a limited knowledge of dying but there are some real experts on here who can give you some sound advice.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Thanks again, BJ