Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What're you foraging right now?

Wanderer
    its been an interesting year, and the pics from the autumn meet look great. we now live in an old barge on the water and I have been so busy we have been poor at foraging

but the weekend caserole is always something to look forward to

pheasant mainly, the ducks outside the window are more like pets but a treat tonight is wood cock with the reheated weekend pheasant

now ran out of grown carrots & swede, yam is still in the garden with beetroot & leek, sea cabage & sea beet still grow faster than I can eat it. jack by the hedge has lost its favour but nettle still good

common yellow russala's are out there, but sadly key ingredents are wine and aunt bessie's dumplings

interestingly my father went fishing off beer last weekend and caught mackeral and channel wighting of which both have been great cooked in fennel (still out there) with boiled spuds and beet sadly the samphire has left us

eel is good cooked in lime & ginger, after landing remove its head sharpish and put the rest of it in a carrier bag of coarse salt. the slime will fall off

thats a good tip for the eels,would love to see a pic or two of your set up...atb kev

Wanderer
    setup the floating home? or the eel rig?

the latter small sea fishing hook heavy line (bright pink or yellow is good as you do this after dark) they don't care why make it hard on yourself

get it on the bottom, so if the water is moving you need a weight, bait anything that was alive once. tonight a bit of woodcock carcus rubber banded to hook or I have fish heads as back up, of course just a bit of it (I just don't waste anything)

this misses is out tonight, so game on or hunger and its going to be harder tonight a bit of a flow following last nights rain

For me, it's catch and release on the eels (unless they have swallowed the hook right down). They're having a hard time at the moment and numbers are in rapid decline.

foraging pheasants most;ly at the moment,the roads are littered with them!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    For me, it's catch and release on the eels (unless they have swallowed the hook right down). They're having a hard time at the moment and numbers are in rapid decline.