Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oh Ray..!

Oh Ray..!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mears-tells...7.html#tlqEZWG

Notice how he says he just decided to speak about it because there has been 'sufficient water under the bridge'.

And then notice how it also says it coincides with his latest book release...

Oh, Ray, stop being such a bell-end. Just as bad as the rest of them.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I notice, also, that the great bushcrafter and tracker himself couldn't actually manage to track the great big lumbering hulk that was Moat. He got near, but not near enough. An inch is as good as a mile.
    Funny, because in his programmes he was always manages to locate those small, delicate, leave-no-trace, animals.

And I feel perfectly justified in being cynical since Mears himself is cynical enough to think that we will believe there's no coincidence between his new book release and the revelation of this titilating fact. After all, he's only decided to tell due to it being sufficiently long ago, and has nothing to do with the new book. Obviously.

For shame, Ray. For shame.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

....and I know personally folk from the SAR community who did advise the Police.

Scary thought is that as he was going on the run there were 20 odd trained SAR air scenting dogs in the Rothbury area who had just finished training for the weekend.....!
    [

Seems a little harsh that if you ask me, the helped and did what he could......

I would like to see any of us do any better, hardly the usual set of circumstances he is used to tracking in. And so what if its a convenient time to talk as his book is due out? Just makes good sense to raise his profile what he's saving for his retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post

I would like to see any of us do any better
    sounds a bit cocky...but some of us on here have, and continue to do so....and so do many thousands more

a mate who posts on here has just said to me 'to some its worthy of a book, for others its just another sunday night'
    Last edited by Silverback; 03-09-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    [

I'm surprised they didn't call for Perry ? Unless he was out of the country???
    Tubbs is definitely cashing in ( imo )

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    Seems a little harsh that if you ask me, the helped and did what he could......

And so what if its a convenient time to talk as his book is due out? Just makes good sense to raise his profile what he's saving for his retirement!
    Exactly what I thought.

What real harm is he doing to anybody anyway. He hasn't disrespected any services or forces in his interview and no doubt he has a family to feed.

Good luck to the guy.

Hobo
    There are a few things to reply to here...

- Why not release it now? You may call it shamelessly plugging a book but that is how the man makes his living. It's like having a go at me for advertising courses on my website.
    - Civvie SAR teams have a lot of input into criminal and non-rural incidents. Tracking plays a good part in it but predicting where the person will be based on historical search data is of more if not equal importance. Police search advisers spend only a tiny fraction of their training on dealing with non-criminal mispers. For a lot of forces MRTs are the regional experts...
    - During a recent (last 12 months) highly-publicised missing person enquiry there was more than one celebrity bushcraft/survival instructor/tracker turning up at search control asking to be used. They were turned away but one managed to get a national TV news station to follow him around casting about for sign on a random bit of field... Not his finest hour.

I like Ray and generally try to give interviewees quoted in such pieces the benefit of the doubt, as selective editing is not an unknown journalistic practice.

But even with such indulgence, it is difficult to read this quote...

"It was such a unique set of circumstances. I have experience of tracking for 40 years. I can't imagine there would be that many people in the country who would have been in a position to help the police find someone who had gone into hiding who needed to be found.It was a real-life hunt; within my skill set but outside of my comfort zone."

... without thinking, what a clock (without the L).

However, even if this quote has not been edited, I do not believe there are many people who travel through life without spending some of the journey with their head up their backside. This would appear to be one such moment for Ray, but hopefully his head will only be avoiding sunlight for a short while and will not be swiftly followed by the rest of him, as he performs the Oozlum Bird manoeuvre and goes ... POP!

DON'T DO IT RAY
    Ansum La

Very eloquently put Colin and about where my feelings lie...
    [