Thread: bannock bread in swedish trangia

bannock bread in swedish trangia

Hi all im going camping at the weekend but an open fire is not an option was wonderin if its possible to make bannock bread using the small pan with the trangia or will it get to hot and burn, never tried it yet using this stove and i dont want to ruin my breakfast lol, any advice would be helpful.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Howdy hinge,

Good job you asked.. whilst I've not tried the exact scenario you've laid out I'm pretty damn confident it would burn, all depends how far your pan is away from that flame, you could setup a stand to have it higher.

When cooking bannock I always do so on some hot-coals not flame, even then I do so slowly keeping and eye on it and flipping it regularly. I aim to cook my bannock slowly sitting at the fire-side, taking around an hour or so and I enjoy the process as I do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cooking Bannock.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	9903
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Banned
    I find cooking it from the front not the base works best tilting the pan to about 80 degrees and spinning the pan regularly
    Oil the base of the pan well first Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	9904

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse040 View Post
    I find cooking it from the front not the base works best tilting the pan to about 80 degrees and spinning the pan regularly
    Oil the base of the pan well first
    But doing it on a trangia burner ? As the OP says they cant have an open fire........Is using a portable BBQ an option hinge ? Personally thats the best I can think of atm
    [

The bbq might be an option, to be honest it never crossed my mind to use one will give it a try

How about heating a flat rock with the trangia. Place the bannock dough on the rock and cover with the trangia pan and leave to bake on the hot rock (may require turning).

Disclaimer - I've not tried this, but this is what i would try if I only had a trangia. I might give it a go to see if it works.
    when we destroy something created by man we call it vandalism, but when we destroy something created by nature we call it progress.

Iv done it in the sat and burner, but you need a simmer ring so you can tone down the flame, the tatonka ring works fine.

Also lots of flour on the outside and also make sure you cover the inside of the pan/lid completely with oil but don't heat it as the oil will run off the sides. Like everyone else has said lots of turning and it should be fine!