Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

I used to have a butterfly knife 20 years ago, great fun (even though illegal in Canada). I miss flipping it open and closed, decided to try to find one of the bottle opener ones I recently saw, found this one on a site in Quebec, bought it, looking forward to legal fun.

Check out the video they have posted, good fun to watch the guy, his mistake, then his joy at performing the techniques flawlessly.

http://www.letigreargente.com/butterfly-knives.html

I cant see why they are illegal in the UK
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbC View Post
    Because it's designed to be used as a weapon. In very much the same way as a flick knife (switch blade) is. It's sole purpose is to be used as a concealed weapon, designed to hurt people.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Probably the same reason as in Norway.Political symbolism.... Some politician found out he could score a cheap point by getting some legislation banning them in the law books, after someone used them for something other than fun...
    Hetre in Norway it was after a couple of murders. The funny thing is that the same year these where banned, someone used a sami knife to chop the head off somone, and the sami knife was not banned...
    A few years later they tried to ban the Rambo lok-a-like knives, or rather so called tactical/millitary looking knives after a killing with that. But somebody showed the politicians a sami knife, and asked them to explain exacactly what you can't do with that one that you can not do with a military knife, and why one should be illegal to own, and the other not...the thing is that the sami knife is inseperable from Sami culture, and they are an indigenous people, and their culture is protected by UN charters that Norway have signed...the same with a lot of other types of knives here.

But the butterfly knife does not have that protection...so they managed to make that illegal, a pure symbolic act
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Tribal Elder
    theres a good chance that none of these knives are as sharp and good at cutting flesh as some chefs knives... so yeah...totally symbolic...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Because it's designed to be used as a weapon. In very much the same way as a flick knife (switch blade) is. It's sole purpose is to be used as a concealed weapon, designed to hurt people.

Martin
    You say that, but you can go and buy a fairbairn sykes commando dagger, and other combat knivess purly designed to end human lives. Plus you get balisongs with mora style bushcrafty blades
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Lifesystems Light & Dry Pro First Aid Kit; http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/psec/fi...t_aid_kit.html
    3 packages of 9-hour Candles for my UCO lantern; http://www.industrialrev.com/9-hour-candles.html
    ProLogic Safe Zone Light Guard; http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/safezone...-light-p182324

New Mess tin from Poundland ..
    Had no choice realy as I found my old one in my daughters room where she had used it as a paint pallet.
    I'd Ground her but she is living down in Brightion now!!!

You say that, but you can go and buy a fairbairn sykes commando dagger, and other combat knivess purly designed to end human lives. Plus you get balisongs with mora style bushcrafty blades
    You can own a balisong, just like you can own an F-S knife, a lock-knife or a bayonet ...... it is however illegal to carry them in a public place.
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

I,v got one of them butterfly blades and all they are is a jabber,to hert someone,not good.