Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

Nice piece of kit!

Cheers
    AL

Been to Poundland (again) since my post earlier today.

I got a circular enamel Tiffin box, which is well suited to accommodating my brew kit (strangely enough) and a small red first aid kit (as opposed to the larger green one they also do) as I find the contents which include scissors, tweezers, tape, cotton wool balls, cotton on a roll, 2 x non-woven pads, alcohol pad, povidone-iodine prep pad, antiseptic swab, gauze and 10 x plasters; very handy refills for my 'proper' first aid kit.

While looking for an image of the tiffin box, which sadly I could not find, I noticed these new products on the Poundland site.

Not seen them in store yet, but I'll snaffle a few when I do as you can't go wrong at a pound and I do already have a set of the light up tent pegs, the lights last for ages and are very good at illuminating guy lines at night, which is handy if you pop out for an urgent call of nature; never hurts to have spares.

I also popped into Mountain Warehouse (it would be rude not to) and got a poncho for £2.99

Sadly the model was not included

Not bad for a fiver all in
    Ansum La

Mora 711 carbon steel knife for £ 3.71. Had to take a file to the back of it to make a spark with my firesteel....

Name:  19-216_m.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  18.2 KB

small diamond sharpening tool with groove for fishing hooks. Going to use as a field knife sharpener... £3.80.

Name:  19-2162_l.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  30.4 KB

and finally, I picked up a 10cm fire steel by Pro Tec for £3,50. That was a bargain I recon as a similar sized firesteel by Light my fire, which is the only ones I have seen for sale here will set you back £16 !!

They also sold a complete Trangia style cooking set with wind shield, 2 cooking pots, kettle and frying pan + meths brurner by Pro Tec for 160 NOK. A Trangia set is 4-500 NOK, and I do not think the quallity of the Trangia set is so much better that itęs wiorth it. I will sneak back for that when she-who-must-be-obeyed is not riding shotgun

And also while rumaging trough my stuff from my time in africa I found a complete US Army "Jungle" first aid kit, complete with pressure bandages, including my old army issured Norwegian one, a few expired burn creams, band aids, safety pins, triangle bandage, etc ad infinitum. A trip to the pharmacy should update that one into an "arctic" first aid kit :-)
    Those burn creams expired in 1983, and I shudder to think what that tin of mozzie repellant contains....or I could raid one of the two sets I have flying about in my car....
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 17-04-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Mora 711 carbon steel knife for £ 3.71

Name:  19-216_m.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  18.2 KB

small diamond sharpening tool with groove for fishing hooks. Going to use as a field knife sharpener... £3.80. Had to take a file to the back of it to make a spark with my firesteel....

Name:  19-2162_l.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  30.4 KB

and finally, I picked up a 10cm fire steel by Pro Tec for £3,50. That was a bargain I recon as a similar sized firesteel by Light my fire, which is the only ones I have seen for sale here will set you back £16 !!

They also sold a complete Trangia style cooking set with wind shield, 2 cooking pots, kettle and frying pan + meths brurner by Pro Tec for 160 NOK. A Trangia set is 4-500 NOK, and I do not think the quallity of the Trangia set is so much better that itęs wiorth it. I will sneak back for that when she-who-must-be-obeyed is not riding shotgun

And also while rumaging trough my stuff from my time in africa I found a complete US Army "Jungle" first aid kit, complete with pressure bandages, including my old army issured Norwegian one, a few expired burn creams, band aids, safety pins, triangle bandage, etc ad infinitum. A trip to the pharmacy should update that one into an "arctic" first aid kit :-)
    Those burn creams expired in 1983, and I shudder to think what that tin of mozzie repellant contains....or I could raid one of the two sets I have flying about in my car....
    I had a US army first aid kit once, the kind in a small water tight plastic box. it had iodine in it and ammonia capsules, as well as all the other stuff you mention. Sadly I have no idea where it went now, but I think that dated from around the same time as your's.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Leatherman Juice S2, orange; http://www.leatherman.com/product/Juice_S2 - my new EDC. I used to have the big Xe6, but found it too heavy and cumbersome
    Leather sheath for Leatherman Juice

Samuel Hearne
    Bought some used toby lures and mepps spinners to go with my fishing kit.

Custom wolfshead medieval firesteel

Just secured another Jakob Nylund blade. Mmmm drool drool.

Ade

Trapper
    Small set of woodcarving hand chisels to have a play with.
    There are no strangers, just friends I have not met

Not strictly bushcrafty, but some Masai panoramic windows for the Landy.

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!