Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

Cheers fella, it's good to know I'm not being a numpty struggling the light these matches

The containers are quite handy and might be useful for carrying something else when empty, not idea what at the moment, but as I've got a few of them, I ahve a bit of fun experimenting with them.

Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    Having tested them at tonights scout meeting, where we lid fires in drizzwling rain, I might add the following:

1. These matches are quite hard to light on the striking surface provided on the container. This is due to the heavy coating on the matches. If you use a coarser strinking surface, the problem is less evident.
    2. Due to the fact that they need to apply quite some force to light the matches, they are rather are prone to break.
    3. The container is really nice. I will definitely refill it with a less heavily coated brand of windproof matches, once it is empty.

With these matches, would they work any better if you scraped a tiny amount of the surface off, before trying to strike them? Kinda like the old wax coated matches.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    With these matches, would they work any better if you scraped a tiny amount of the surface off, before trying to strike them? Kinda like the old wax coated matches.
    I'll have a go in the morning and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    I'll have a go in the morning and let you know.
    Cheers mate. Will be interesting to find out.

Right, I had a couple of goes with matches I'd scraped, by varying degrees and it didn't make them any easier to light. The more scraped match heads broke up around where I had scraped them. But each match did eventually light, after two or three attempts, when I used sufficient force and got sufficient contact on the striking paper.

I also had a go with an unaltered match on the striking surface of a box of Swan Vestas, BIG MISTAKE, it just took most of the head off (but I did manage to get a light of what remained on the Lifeventure striking paper).

The main conclusion I am drawing from this little experiment is, it is a question of technique. As the striking paper is attached around the concealed outer rim of the container, it isn't flat. You need to get the hang of striking with just enough force and speed, on a tiny flattish striking surface, to light the match. Too little force will just wear the head, too much with cause the head to disintegrate and / or the match to snap.

As there matches are not so cheap, I imagine most folks would not be keen to buy a batch just for practising their striking technique. One possible solution would be to get some striking paper, similar to that on the concealed outer rim and glue either a strip to the exposed container surface (where the LifeVenture branding is) or a disc on the base of the container. This would provide a larger, flatter striking area, which may be more forgiving to first time users who have not practised and honed their striking technique.

I have no idea where I might locate such striking paper (Pipe up if you do) but if I can find some, I will try what I have suggested above and let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Colin

Not sure if it's Tesco, or Morrison, but one of them sell a triple pack of K two, kitchen matches, for £1.75 (I think). Each box contains about 150-200 safety matches, so each box has two 80mm x 22mm striking surfaces, which appear to be the same as the Lifeventure items. That would probably be your best bet, plus you have a load of spare matches. Failing that, it seems very similar to 2500 grit wet and dry paper. Auto discount stores mat have individual sheets, and Halfords have packs of 5. Seems a lot of wet and dry, just for a small-ish striking area though.

Thanks for trying the scraping method. I may have to locate some of these matches to try myself Sorry for wasting some of your matches.

Just checked, and it's Tesco @ £1

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=261551368

No worries. I did make use of the flames produced to make a brew (I never miss a chance to make a brew ) and try a dry meal idea I've been toying with, using my SM Trangia (Mediterranean couscous, dried soya chunks and seasoning - needs a tweak, but not a bad for a first attempt).

I am bound to pop in to my local Tescos at some point, so I'll pick a box or two and have more fun experimenting (and enjoying brews, trialling other dried soya chunk meal ideas) and let you know how it goes.

If you are keen to experiment yourself, I think Millets/blacks are knocking them out for £2 (for 20).

princeton tec head torch £8....filling the gap till Alpkit get in some more gammas
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    No worries. I did make use of the flames produced to make a brew (I never miss a chance to make a brew ) and try a dry meal idea I've been toying with, using my SM Trangia (Mediterranean couscous, dried soya chunks and seasoning - needs a tweak, but not a bad for a first attempt).

I am bound to pop in to my local Tescos at some point, so I'll pick a box or two and have more fun experimenting (and enjoying brews, trialling other dried soya chunk meal ideas) and let you know how it goes.

If you are keen to experiment yourself, I think Millets/blacks are knocking them out for £2 (for 20).
    Cheers bud. I'll get down to Millets some time.

Keep up the brewing