Thread: What Have You Bought Now!!!???

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Toyota Quiltmaster 226.

I hear you all say.

Its a sewing machine! I can admit it, I bought a sewing machine. I investigated it for ages, looked at reviews, asked advice and am proud to say I have a new toy. Do I have an inferiority complex or doubt my own manliness? NO! Do I need to explain myself on here and big myself up? Never.

But what it does mean is that I can now get my silnylon tarp and underquilt 2 underway and tested, after I have finished my sons knife.

Remember...

Real men wear Pink!
    Poof!!

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Well, if this is a coming-out thread (pun intended), I HAVE A SEWING MACHINE TOO! And I'm proud!
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Buff Hood, black; http://buff.eu/en/GBR/products/-/c/H/s/A/f/133 Free product sample
    LMF SnapBox 2-pack, red/orange; http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/...n/snapbox.aspx
    Last edited by JEEP; 22-02-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: bought some more :)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Poof!!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    Well, if this is a coming-out thread (pun intended), I HAVE A SEWING MACHINE TOO! And I'm proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    I have bought a frontline hammock and an xl tarp direct from DD. Half price as they are seconds. The hammock has one of the mossie net attachment points stitched on back to front (the horror) and I can't find anything wrong withe tarp. Nothing, nil, nada. Got to be the bargain of the century. I have also invested in a HunkaXL bivi from Alpkit. They have spent the last week trying to track it down for me as I hadn't received it yet, only to find my alcoholic neighbour had taken it in but couldn't be arsed to drop it round til she needed me to go and get her some more gin. Haven't used them yet but I've had great service from both companies.
    I ordered two 3x3 tarps, one for me and one for a mate. We tried them up a week ago. His had nothing wrong with it. We think his may be an ex display model. Mine had a small tear on the edge seam, along with a bit of loose thread. I used some Tenacious tape on the tear (not shown in photo).

As of yesterday, I am now the proud owner of the following items:

CZECH ARMY BED ROLL
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//czech...prod_1772.html

Mint condition.

I was so excited about this trying this bedroll, I had a cheeky overnighter in the garden, in my tent (yes I am a pussy) and I have to say, I had the most comfortable outdoor kip in a good long while. Bit of a chilly night and the wind didn't make it any warmer, but I was nice and toasty in this bed roll. Didn't need the extra blanket or sleeping bag liner I had on hand (or the emergency duvet, I had on standby in the house), just popped a self inflating sleeping mat between the outer and inner layers, tucked myself in, revelled in being able to move my feet about and wiggle my shoulders, then swiftly dropped off and spent a pleasant evening in the Land of Nod.
    TOP PURCHASE

ALUMINUM SWEDISH ARMY TRANGIA STOVE
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//alumi.../prod_393.html

Mint (ish) Condition - just a couple of scratches on the windshield.

This replaced my fourth hand stainless steel military Trangia (which sadly came off worse in a fight with a particularly rocky Cornish hill) and seems exactly the same, just lighter. It coped admirably with this mornings wind and rain and I was enjoying a brew in no time.

Shiny

FRENCH MESS TINS 3 PC UNISSUED
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//mess-...prod_1840.html

Mint Condition.

As I've got most of the bits and pieces that make up a standard survival tin (and a few handy bits and bobs to compliment them) but keep forgetting to hang on to any useful tins when I have one, I've been toying with the idea of buying a suitable tin or pouch to put them all in. Saw this mess tin, it was cheap, shiny and unusual (3 pieces) so I took a gamble. Very sturdy, tight fitting tins, with an additional locking clip, to hold the tins together. All my bits and pieces fit in with room to spare and if necessary, the smallest tin could be left out if more space is ever required. AND IT CAN BE USED AS A MESS TIN.

Proper job

FOLD-A-CUP TWIN PACK **SPECIAL OFFER**
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//fold-...prod_1801.html

New

You can never have too many cups and these look particularly adventure friendly. Been looking at these since last summer, but have fallen into the habit of arriving at shops that sell them, ten minutes after the last one was sold. So I've been hanging on until I buy something else online, from somewhere that stocks them. The larger cup is very handy (easily fits in the new Trangia) not fiddly to hold, doesn't suffer from 'hot handle' and retained the heat of this morning's brew pretty well. Well Sound. The smaller cup would be ideal for a toddlers tea party, but as I don't have any toddlers at the moment, it can live in the shed.

Ansum La

*If I find my camera, I'll upload some pictures of the bedroll.
    ** I must point out that I am in no way connected with Military Mart, just very happy with their products and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    As of yesterday, I am now the proud owner of the following items:

CZECH ARMY BED ROLL
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//czech...prod_1772.html

Mint condition.

I was so excited about this trying this bedroll, I had a cheeky overnighter in the garden, in my tent (yes I am a pussy) and I have to say, I had the most comfortable outdoor kip in a good long while. Bit of a chilly night and the wind didn't make it any warmer, but I was nice and toasty in this bed roll. Didn't need the extra blanket or sleeping bag liner I had on hand (or the emergency duvet, I had on standby in the house), just popped a self inflating sleeping mat between the outer and inner layers, tucked myself in, revelled in being able to move my feet about and wiggle my shoulders, then swiftly dropped off and spent a pleasant evening in the Land of Nod.
    TOP PURCHASE

ALUMINUM SWEDISH ARMY TRANGIA STOVE
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//alumi.../prod_393.html

Mint (ish) Condition - just a couple of scratches on the windshield.

This replaced my fourth hand stainless steel military Trangia (which sadly came off worse in a fight with a particularly rocky Cornish hill) and seems exactly the same, just lighter. It coped admirably with this mornings wind and rain and I was enjoying a brew in no time.

Shiny

FRENCH MESS TINS 3 PC UNISSUED
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//mess-...prod_1840.html

Mint Condition.

As I've got most of the bits and pieces that make up a standard survival tin (and a few handy bits and bobs to compliment them) but keep forgetting to hang on to any useful tins when I have one, I've been toying with the idea of buying a suitable tin or pouch to put them all in. Saw this mess tin, it was cheap, shiny and unusual (3 pieces) so I took a gamble. Very sturdy, tight fitting tins, with an additional locking clip, to hold the tins together. All my bits and pieces fit in with room to spare and if necessary, the smallest tin could be left out if more space is ever required. AND IT CAN BE USED AS A MESS TIN.

Proper job

FOLD-A-CUP TWIN PACK **SPECIAL OFFER**
    http://www.militarymart.co.uk//fold-...prod_1801.html

New

You can never have too many cups and these look particularly adventure friendly. Been looking at these since last summer, but have fallen into the habit of arriving at shops that sell them, ten minutes after the last one was sold. So I've been hanging on until I buy something else online, from somewhere that stocks them. The larger cup is very handy (easily fits in the new Trangia) not fiddly to hold, doesn't suffer from 'hot handle' and retained the heat of this morning's brew pretty well. Well Sound. The smaller cup would be ideal for a toddlers tea party, but as I don't have any toddlers at the moment, it can live in the shed.

Ansum La

*If I find my camera, I'll upload some pictures of the bedroll.
    ** I must point out that I am in no way connected with Military Mart, just very happy with their products and service.
    Hope im not being too cheeky but would you take a measurement across the width of the bed roll ?....I have looked at them many times but i'm short and wide and they never put the measurements on the ad's.
    oh well try again

Klarus NT10. Already have the NT20 and really impressed with the quality of these torches.
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Quote Originally Posted by cuppa joe View Post
    Hope im not being too cheeky but would you take a measurement across the width of the bed roll ?....I have looked at them many times but i'm short and wide and they never put the measurements on the ad's.

Not at all, I'm short and stocky myself and have had plenty of 'fun and games' trying to find a sleeping bag that doesn't restrict all movement from the hands up.

The width of the bed roll is 27 inches / approx 69 cms
    The length of the bed roll, when unrolled is 200 inches / approx 179 cms
    The circumference of the bed roll, when rolled up is 35 inches / approx 89 cms
    *This measurement includes two additional layers, a self inflating mat and a spare fleece blanket, on top of the existing outer and two inner layers that make up the bed roll.

I've just measured myself too and I'm 55 inches around the chest and shoulders. It was a comfortable fit for me, I could move my arms about a bit, turn over without taking the bed roll over with me and most importantly, I did not feel like I was wrapped in cling film from the elbows up.

I'd say there is between 2 to 3 inches give for me, so if you are less than 57 inches at your widest point, this bed roll should be okay for you.

I hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by rossbird View Post
    The saw looks a bargain, will we see any pics of it in use ower la?
    Missed this first time around, apologies. If I can find my camera, I'll take a picture for you. I have had a go with the saw and it is okay, the handle is sturdy enough and the blade locks open tightly enough, but I do fear the blade is a tad flimsy and as I'm a bit heavy handed found it was bending like a bendy thing, whenever I lost myself in the moment and cut wood with gusto.
    If I haven't broken the blade by the end of the month, I will be surprised