Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how times have changed

how times have changed

Anyone heard of Horace Kephart, Ime reading one of his books at the moment called camp cookery. He was the Alan Whicker of his day (1920's) but wrote books instead of TV. He was a huge exponent of wild camping. Here is one of his recipes for Brunswick Stew . Look how much butter & salt pork (fat) go into the it, Yuk. Brunswick Stew—This famous huntsman's dish of the Old Dominion is usually prepared with squirrels, but other game will serve as well. The ingredients, besides squirrels, are: 1 qt. can tomatoes, * 1 pt. can butter beans or limas, 1 pt. can green corn, 6 potatoes, parboiled and sliced, 14 lb. butter, 1/2 lb. salt pork (fat), 1 teaspoonful black pepper, 14 teaspoonful Cayenne, 1 tablespoonful salt, 2 tablespoonfuls white sugar, 1 onion, minced small. Soak the squirrels half an hour in cold salted water. Add the salt to one gallon of water, and boil five minutes. Then put in the onion, beans, corn, pork (cut in fine strips), potatoes, pepper, and squirrels. Cover closely, and stew very slowly two and a half hours, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add the tomatoes and sugar and stew an hour longer. Then add the butter, cut into bits the size of a walnut and rolled in flour. Boil ten minutes. Then serve at once.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Sorry thought salt pork was like salt cod, a way of preserving meat and not really all fat? And as much as I like butter 14lb bloody hell that's a lot of butter to carry for a hunts mans stew, or any stew. Now that's fat

Wanderer
    at a quick glance, he's a yank which only bothers me in the sense that does the book not require ingredients that aren't available on our little island?

Quote Originally Posted by Realearner View Post
    Sorry thought salt pork was like salt cod, a way of preserving meat and not really all fat? And as much as I like butter 14lb bloody hell that's a lot of butter to carry for a hunts mans stew, or any stew. Now that's fat
    Yup, and a lot of other sundries were to be carried as well like coffee pots, griddles, dutch ovens etc. But Henry Ford helped out here ,instead of the horse and chuck waggon Kephart substituted the car so wild or ( classic )camping became very popular in the states. He wrote quite a few books on the subject of 'woodmanship & campcraft' of which a few are now in reprint. Dont really know about the salt pork but in his recipe he put it down as (fat) so your guess is as good as any, either way I think 14lbs of butter is enough fat,lol,Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by twosmokeforever View Post
    at a quick glance, he's a yank which only bothers me in the sense that does the book not require ingredients that aren't available on our little island?
    The only thing youd'e struggle with in this recipe is green corn, defo not in cans , but you can get them raw or substitute with yellow maize,Ken

Aye Kepharts a great outdoors writer, I really enjoyed 'Woodcradt and Camping' particularly. Had to chuckle as the questions he's addressing are the same ones you see on a regular basis on the forums . Nowt new under the sun eh?

Can be had for free online here...

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Mac View Post
    Aye Kepharts a great outdoors writer, I really enjoyed 'Woodcradt and Camping' particularly. Had to chuckle as the questions he's addressing are the same ones you see on a regular basis on the forums . Nowt new under the sun eh?

Can be had for free online here...
    You are so right bro, there is nowt new,havn't read W & C fully yet just browsed through it. I believe him to be a great if not underated (in this country at least) exponent of of the craft,You can learn a lot off Kephart, Thanks for the Input bro, ATB.Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Realearner View Post
    And as much as I like butter 14lb bloody hell that's a lot of butter to carry for a hunts mans stew, or any stew. Now that's fat
    I think that might be a printing error and it's a 1/4 (quarter) lb of butter,,,,,,,, my gran used to make something similar yum,yum I can smell it now....
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sar-ian View Post
    I think that might be a printing error and it's a 1/4 (quarter) lb of butter,,,,,,,, my gran used to make something similar yum,yum I can smell it now....
    I reckon so...a stone of butter in a stew that feeds 4 seems a bit excessive
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sar-ian View Post
    I think your right, I was pretty tired when reading it and didn't think of that, and there are a lot of typo's in the book so there is the answer. It sounds a hell of a lot tastier now ha ha. Need another smiley playing russian roulete, DOH ! ATB Ken