Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northwood meet February 27th - 1st March

Northwood meet February 27th - 1st March

had a wander down North Wood recently to collect some timber for carving. it was looking tired and although there were a few leaves hanging on, it was time for it to turn in for a few months.

walking around i could see signs of our past activity's, the tree and scrub clearing, piles of unburnt logs and a hearth that needs re-heating. the laughter and banter the shared skills and the company of missed mates. it is time for me to make room and invite anyone who wants to join me in a February meet. the above dates are a guide only, if you want a longer stay with your winter gear speak up

there is ample windblown timber for this meet if anyone wants their own fire, there will of course be a bit of a tidy after an 8 month lay off, so bring some cutting tools!

to get the flavor of the meets, look here

everything you need to know about the meet is here...

the longwinded but necessary caviats;

fees

please
    pay on arrival or as soon as is practicable. I don’t want to be chasing people for fees as they’re packing up!

• 18+............. £5 per night,
    • Aged 12~17 .....£3 per night
    • Under 12 ..........free.

Fires

After discussions amongst the 'North Wood Regulars' it has been decided to introduce a communal fire.
    We feel in order to maintain our supply of free wood it is imperative that we act now. North Wood is getting known and seems to be gaining in popularity, what none of us want is to end up in a year or so with a sterile wood. You have left your pitches in impeccable order, no blame is to be attached to yourselves but with anything up to a possible 20+ individual fires whether for warmth or cooking, stocks will rapidly dwindle.

To ensure the future of North Wood as a camping, bushcraft venue, and to conserve the continuing stocks of wood for the communal areas, the following conditions will apply;

Wood collected and processed during the course of the meet is for use in the communal fire area (excluding small sticks, twigs) so that everyone benefits, or in some cases for the use of the farmer.

If you want to bring in your own Honey Stoves, hobo stoves, twig, small stick burners (thumb size) and the like, they are acceptable providing they have sufficient ground clearance or protection to prevent scaring. Pit fires or similar are not acceptable.

Modified jerry can (or similar) stoves, tent/tipi/lavvu stoves and the like are not acceptable unless you bring a sufficient amount of fuel for your needs for the duration of the meet.

live wood is to be left untouched, unless of course there's planned maintenance, in which case it will go to the communal fire or any projects.

With all the dead wood to hand, I know it’s going to be tempting to carry on using it for individual fires, I’m hoping this is going to be self regulating however if individuals blatantly ignore this, they will not be invited back.
    This is not negotiable, If you require clarification on what is acceptable, drop me a pm.

I hope I have explained my motives for these actions clearly. They have been put in place to ensure the longevity of North Wood as a venue.

Facilities

There are male and female toilets located next to CP1, an outside water tap is situated at the end of the car park wall. (see map link below)

Rubbish

we’re still here on trial so it really is a case of leaving no junk / fire scars etc. the only thing we should leave is a good impression, take your rubbish home, there are no facility’s to leave it on the farm.
    There have been odd occasions when other peoples rubbish has had to be disposed of, If you brought it in, it’s up to you to dispose of it. No exceptions.

Under 18s

Are to be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and will be the responsibility of the person who bought, invited them.

Behaviour

Generally speaking our meets are very good natured and self regulating. However if someone is found to be unduly aggressive, unruly, or are otherwise hostile in any other form, they will be asked to leave immediately. if the offending person is a minor then the parent or loco parentis will be asked to accompany them off site.

If a member or guest has possible behavioural issues, the meet organiser should be informed before attending the site. In an instance where other members or their guests are put at risk, the member, inviting member and/or their guest will be asked to leave with immediate effect.

Risks

there is no insurance cover of any description covering the attendees of North Wood meets, any incidents arising will be entirely at your own risk.

dogs or other pets

without exeption are not allowed

Restricted areas

A small section on the approach to north wood is sssi, unless otherwise instructed this will be marked and out of bounds, as will a small area within the wood which is personal to the farmer and is strictly out of bounds, (see map link below).

Access

Access is from 1200 on the given date unless we have made prior arrangements to get in earlier. For security reasons the electronic gates will be closed overnight from 1900 to 0800 and all day Sunday, possible late or early arrivals feel free to pm me for the gate code. We will vacate the site no later than 1300. On whatever day the meet ends

The gate from the farm yard into the meadow must be kept closed at all times, if you open it you close it,

the fields on the approach to the wood are sometimes hired out to a private company. if on arrival there is any activity on the meadow between CP1 and the wood, and you need to unload or park your vehicle on CP2 or CP3, keep to the track and proceed with caution at 15mph

Medical

There are no medical facilities on site, the nearest A & E is 15 minutes drive at;

Good Hope Hospital
    Rectory Road,
    Sutton Coldfield,
    Birmingham,
    B75 7RR

Location of meet

North Wood is set in the heart of middle England and has excellent access to M1, M6, M6 tollroad, M42, M40 and M5.

location is opposite the belfry golf club on the A4091, OS map ref' SP189962 for those arriving early there is a large layby opposite the entrance, the full address is;

Middleton House Farm
    Tamworth Road
    Middleton,
    Tamworth
    North Warwickshire
    B78 2BD

And finally for those not familiar with north wood, this link may help...

switch to satellite and click on the symbols for more information.

for clarification this is a private and sole occupancy piece of woodland and although this facility is advertised elsewhere, it is available for anyone to attend either individually or for whatever group you affiliate to.

well that’s it for now, any questions just sing out

All the best and look forward to meeting you,

Steve
    Last edited by jus_young; 03-01-2015 at 09:35 PM.
    give more than you take

Woodspirit Carving

entering your name would indicate you have read and accepted the above guidelines. please include this in your paste.

1. woodspirits 27-1
    give more than you take

Woodspirit Carving

Moved it for you and now included in original post.

Justin
    Last edited by jus_young; 03-01-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    give more than you take

Woodspirit Carving

Quote Originally Posted by woodspirits View Post
    Moved it for you and now included in original post.

Justin
    thank you Justin much appreciated.
    give more than you take

Woodspirit Carving

I will be there.

Hobo
    Hi new on here

and with a broken caps lock.

This is near me, do you meet here often please?

Would love to come and test the kit and meet some folks

Quote Originally Posted by INQUISITORSWRATH View Post
    Hi new on here

and with a broken caps lock.

This is near me, do you meet here often please?

Would love to come and test the kit and meet some folks
    welcome along bud, i normally host this meet the last weekend every other month. all the details are on the O.P or ask me or Johnyboy1971 if i'm not around. just turn up after 1200 Friday,
    Last edited by woodspirits; 21-01-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    give more than you take

Woodspirit Carving

entering your name would indicate you have read and accepted the above guidelines. please include this in your paste.

1. woodspirits 27-1
    2. Johnyboy1971
    3. inquisitorswrath
    give more than you take

Woodspirit Carving

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodspirits View Post

1. woodspirits 27-1
    2. Johnyboy1971
    3. inquisitorswrath
    thanks for info, i cant make it this weekend sadly, but the next couple i will aim to be there :-)

I do hope to be there as well

1. woodspirits 27-1
    2. Johnyboy1971
    3. inquisitorswrath
    4. TinkyPete