Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amadou preparation

Banned

Amadou preparation

After a few days at the bush farm meet with a great bunch of people I took along some fungus as a few of the people who attended last month said they wold like to have a go at making amadou so I took along a couple of fungus's for those who wanted them and said I would post a thread on my knowledge of it

Horse shoe fungus is a member of the Polyporus family, more commonly known as false tinder fungus or conk ( not true tinder fungus as this is chaga ) generally found on dead silver birch trees , at this point I want to add that I have made amadou from two types of conk and have seen trama in at least two more type which I believe could be made into amadou although the last stage of the prep varied slightly the overall method was the same

The fungus is made up of three layers Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	9671

The cuticle
    The trama
    The pores

The wanted layer is the trama this is the central layer of material so it's the cork like material under the hard crusty layer and above the layer of tube like layer
    Step one is to remove the hard shell this is not easy and is undoubtedly the most unpleasant part of the process . In the past I have had ha people say to soak the fungus for a couple of days to soften it up but in reality you need to allow at least four days for it to make ant difference

Once this is removed you can remove the pore like part this is much easier and is somewhat like taking the inner from a coconut I use to discard this on the fire until recently I watched a good friend of mine use this in the same as char cloth and it works a treat so a bonus in the tinder box

The next part can vary and is down to choice you can either soak for another week or boil for at least 12 hours this can be done by adding salt pettre which was traditionally done by adding the rotting straw from a animal pen which was saturated by excrement ,or a lye solution or the traditional way is to use urine yep urine this is only appropriate if you use the boiling method .
    I'm happy to say I use a lye solution which I make by boiling ash from a fire and it works best from a softwood fire which I then repeatedly boil until I'm left with a thick sludge after removing any large particles which float when boiling I make a good jam jar full as this will do two or three lots of amadou ( it's important to boil the ash first as if you add to much or a to course ash mix to the amadou it will clog the pores and it will not take a spark well at all

The next step is to slice the amadou into strips of your required thickness i try for 5-6mm then either allow to soak in your lye solution or boil in your chosen mix boiling needs to be for at least 12 hours where as soaking needs to be for between 3-5 days checking regularly for a consistency of being able to squeeze it between your fingers to half of the original size

There are several ways to achieve the swede like leather you will recognise as amadou some people say to beat the material to soften this needs to be some with something with no sharp edges such as a pebble I personally don't like this way as it is quite difficult as if you go to far it falls to bits .
    My preferred method is to simply knead it between your fingers with damp hands until its soft it also tends to get larger in size by about 30%this is laterally not in thickness ,
    Then you need to dry it under no circumstances force dry jit , you can dry it by leaving it to dry in a warm place but it will go hard again and will need to be manipulated again ,I like to continue to manipulate it with dry hands I find it works best then it's good to go Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3293
Size:  15.6 KB

Hope this is ok and have fun would love to see the results from others

I've thought about doing this now and again, didn't realise it was such a long process to get the end result. well done Mouse, you sure opened my eyes. may still give it a go one day so that I can say 'done that'.........

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Funny how different techniques are used to get the same end result, it's always interesting to read another persons approach to it, I enjoyed that!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Funny how different techniques are used to get the same end result, it's always interesting to read another persons approach to it, I enjoyed that!
    Thanks your right I've seen so many different techniques to get the end result and indeed tried a few but this one has given me good results as I hope the guys from the bushfarm meet will agree I don't think I could improve on the end result if I wanted to

I'm going to be an amadou nay-sayer.
    Quite frankly, it's more trouble than it's worth.
    If you are going to go to all that trouble to prepare it then you may as well make yourself some char cloth - a lot easier to prepare and use!
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    If you are going to go to all that trouble to prepare it then you may as well make yourself some char cloth - a lot easier to prepare and use!
    I agree entirely mate.

I've used several different methods over the past 20 odd years to make Amadou and to be quite frank it's a waste of time.
    For me it is all outlay and no gain. As you Humakt says, there are many more methods that achieve the same result with no way near the expenditure of labour.

For me, it's a simple numbers game, if it takes a 1000 calories to dig up a root veg that returns 100 calories its just not worth it. For me, Amadou is the same.

I can light a fire within seconds with either char cloth or Cramp Ball fungus with no expenditure of effort on preparing either of those two methods.

Ade

Banned

I suppose at that point you would use a lighter ? For me it's about understanding the process and being aware that charcloth is relatively new in terms of the history of fire I personally enjoy the basic natural skills of bushcraft and like to not only try these skills but find my own preferred method

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse040 View Post
    I suppose at that point you would use a lighter ? For me it's about understanding the process and being aware that charcloth is relatively new in terms of the history of fire I personally enjoy the basic natural skills of bushcraft and like to not only try these skills but find my own preferred method
    Well, yeah absolutely.
    The knowledge to create amadou is worth keeping and practising in its own right.
    As a practical method its not one I'd use, but you make entirely the right point - it's worth keeping the knowledge alive for its own sake.

The lighter comment is an interesting one and quite pertinent. Because if we are going to have to prepare our firemaking equipment well...why not a lighter? In many ways it is just as pre-meditated and manufactured as, say, amadou or char cloth. They are all just as artificial.
    I've got the feeling a can of worms has just been opened...
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Well, yeah absolutely.
    The knowledge to create amadou is worth keeping and practising in its own right.
    As a practical method its not one I'd use, but you make entirely the right point - it's worth keeping the knowledge alive for its own sake.

The lighter comment is an interesting one and quite pertinent. Because if we are going to have to prepare our firemaking equipment well...why not a lighter? In many ways it is just as pre-meditated and manufactured as, say, amadou or char cloth. They are all just as artificial.
    I've got the feeling a can of worms has just been opened...
    Well, the whole reason for me to insist on using a flint and steel to start of fire is not because it's effective...but because I can, and it's fun :-)
    And that should be the whole reason to make amadou too.

If I want the fire going in a hurry
    I douse it in ligher fuel and throw a match at it...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Banned
    I'm happy to pull the ring and open the can

Lets be honest who doesn't have a lighter in there pack as a species we are lazy I have good knowledge of several primitive fire lighting techniques but in honesty when out alone and spending the night in the woods a lighter is used but saying that I'm quite passionate on us who can keeping these skills alive after all there is no reason why we learn many of our skills within bushcraft as there are more convenient and easier ways to achieve the end result

Why learn to forage when we have tesco ?
    Why learn to make a basket when we plastic containers ?

The argument is the same

Well can open dig in