Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted - cold weather camping buddy!!

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1066 View Post
    Rune, you are amazing my friend!!

Planning to do the trip around the end of march next year so like you say it's the best of both worlds.

Don't own any skis and have absolutely no experience of them mate, or snow shoes for that matter. Do you no if that's something that could be hired locally?

The location you have in mind sounds amazing so would love to stick to that.

If not however for safety's sake I'm really happy to go anywhere.

Having a quick scout on flights last night, from London gatwick to evenes, looking at around £200-220 return. And like you say that includes a change at Oslo.

As a train driver I may be able to get mega cheap train tickets and travel up that way instead of flying from Oslo.

I would have to look and see how much difference there is in price but I can get up to 90% off train travel in Europe.

All that's left to find now is a partner!!!

Anyone up for an epic adventure to Norway next year? Could be a once in a lifetime!!!!
    If you've never been on skis before, I won't even try to take you out there on a pair of them. Cross country skiing with packs and/or a pulk or tobogan or whatver you will use, is not for beginners. Specially if it's the first time out there. And you will be going out more or less straight from the airport :-) Also it's not only the skis. You'll need ski boots that fit exactly, or you will be in a world of hurt with blisters etc. Susanne will confirm this for you :-)

So snow shoes for you I think.

And perhaps we have to start you somehwere closer to a road. But we have plenty of options here, with plenty of time to make a good plan, and most lakes here have fish in them. So we'll find a good spot for you. But the place I have in mind for camp is only a 1 km from the road, and half of that we'll be crossing a frozen lake. So the terrain is flat. So getting there should be manageable for most. But I must insit on snow shoes. We could be in 1 meter of fresh powder, or on a thin frozen crust over sludge. Or we'll be walking on a frozen crust of ice, capable of carrying us on foot in, but the next day we get milder weather, and we sink in to the hip. Impossible to know before we are there. I'll be on skis, but bringing snow shoes.

As for going with a train...that will take you around 24 hours from Oslo...to get to Fauske (near Bodø), where the tracks end. Thats 300km south of here. And then it's a 6 hour bus ride including a bus change and a 1 hour ferry crossing from there. And the bus only will cost you 70-100£. So it's not likely that it will save you anything, regardless how large a discount you get.

Else I have the car so we can go sight seeing. I have a second mountain area we can drive straight up to the top for a fantastic view. And if there is Aurora activity I suggest you spend at least one night up there. As light pollution up there is minimal.

Anyway, I think you'll have a good time. even if the wetaher turns nasty it should be an adventure for you if you come here with the right attitude :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Maps of the area

Blue line: Suggested ski route
    Green line : suggested snow shoe route
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Hi Rune, thats some great advice thanks.

I didnt relise you were Bumbling Bushcraft mate, I have been one of your subs for ages!! Love your vids!!

Again your spot on about the flight, even with a huge discount on trains it makes perfect sense to fly.

Is there anywhere you no locally that I could hire snowshoes? And are sledges pretty easy to come across near you? I dont actually own pulk or taboggon so was thinking of adapting a kids sledge.

I figure the money I would save in bagguage would prob pay for most of the snow shoe hire and also the sledge!!

If I come across a cheap pulk though I will most certainly buy it!!

Cheers
    Steve

I didnt relise you were Bumbling Bushcraft mate, I have been one of your subs for ages!! Love your vids!!

Again your spot on about the flight, even with a huge discount on trains it makes perfect sense to fly.

Is there anywhere you no locally that I could hire snowshoes? And are sledges pretty easy to come across near you? I dont actually own pulk or taboggon so was thinking of adapting a kids sledge.

I figure the money I would save in bagguage would prob pay for most of the snow shoe hire and also the sledge!!

Cheers
    Steve
    I don't think snow shoes can be rented here. Snow shoes are not really common in Norway, and only in the last few years people have started using them.
    But a pair can be had for as little as 30-40£ and I am going to purchase a pair this winter. And will most likely use skis, so I can probably lend you mine for the duration of your stay.

A tested a kids sled last year. Did not work well. Even with just a daypack in it, it tipped over constantly. So I ended up getting myself a paris pulk. But those are quite pricey at 90£ here. But
    I can be on the lookout for a used one this winter. And if you buy one I can always get it sold for you locally after the trip (they are very popular and easy to get rid of) you could recuperate most of the outlay.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 25-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Cheers
    Steve
    I don't think snow shoes can be rented here. Snow shoes are not really common in Norway, and only in the last few years people have started using them.
    But a pair can be had for as little as 30-40£ and I am going to purchase a pair this winter. And will most likely use skis, so I can probably lend you mine for the duration of your stay.

A tested a kids sled last year. Did not work well. Even with just a daypack in it, it tipped over constantly. So I ended up getting myself a paris pulk. But those are quite pricey at 90£ here. But
    I can be on the lookout for a used one this winter. And if you buy one I can always get it sold for you locally after the trip (they are very poular and easy to get rid of) you could recuperate most of the outlay.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Here is my kids sled test trip
    (Roald Amundsen)

Great vid Rune,

When was that made mate?

Looks like perfect conditions for what I want next year!!

I tell you something, you have far more patience than I have got with the char cloth!! That lighter would have been out of my pocket a lot earlier than that lol!!

Im guessing the problem with the childs sled is that the foot print is not big enough thus making it top heavy?

For decent snow shoes in the uk your looking at £100 plus!! Thats why I asked about hiring them your end.
    But like you say it may be worth buying when I get over there.

The same for pulk!!
    Can I inbox you some pulks and toboggans I have found online for you to look at and advise me?

Atb
    Steve

No problem. Send your links :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

The vid was made in the beginning of february this year :-)

Yeah the problem is the foot print. But a pulk should not be to wide either. Or else drag wil be a problem in deep snow.

Anyway, do not worry to much about kit. March is far off. And we should be able to find you something usable by then.
    And if not, we'll just camp closer to the road. I just checked my distances. The lake shore is just 300 meters from the road. The far side where I want to camp is about 800 metrs. All as the crow flies. So you don't need something advanced.

And as we talk kit. Don't overload on that stuff either. But for clothes I recomend goretex as the outer layer. This is the coast. And you may get a wet day or two. And for cooking don't bring anything using gas canisters. They dont work well in the cold. So it's either alcohol stove burning meths (we have something similar here that we use), but preferably a stove that can be pressurized like the Optimus 111 that burns parafine or gasoline.

Don't worry about axes, saws etc. I'll bring that. I have a very good and very cheap bow saw, and a hatchet I can lend you for processing wood. Don't bother bringing those little garden folding saws UK bushcrafters are so fond of. You'll work yourself to death processing enough wood to carry you trough the night. Don't get me wrong, I use those too, but only in the summer.

Else, for water, just melt snow, it will be safe to drink. Same with running water from the creaks if any. Sleeping bags...personally I use artificial fibres. Mustly becaus ethey are cheaper, but also because of the climate. if down gets wet, the loft is gone. Down jackets...same. I don't like them. They are nice to have in camp though...but they are not very fire resistant either. so I do the old school layer method with a windproof jacket/smock/anorak as the outer shell.

You see in my vids how I dress. Under the wind proofs, I just have a simple thermal underwear while moving. When in camp I add a thick sweater. Thats it. I do bring more so that I can add to that if needed.

And before I kip in, I change from top to bottom to my dry kit. I'e it's just a set of thermal underwear, a fleece sweater and a balaklava.

You need a good pair of snow gaiters. make sure they can be easily dried by the fire without burning or melting.

Hmmm....I am over loading...just sitting here and brainstorming lol...
    (Roald Amundsen)

I have trip envy lol.