Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Make A Soft Drawstring Pouch

How To Make A Soft Drawstring Pouch

Hi Guys recently there was a question on making a drawstring pouch, I was somewhat suprised that there was no tutorial on here so I quickly dug out some kit yesterday and made a pouch, taking photos as I went. Do excuse the quality of the photos as they were taken using my phone.

So firstly we need a few things to get us started.

Here I have a couple of needles, a good sharp knife, a cutting matt, a cork matt, an overstitch wheel, some 25/3 linen thread, some PVA glue, a round bladed awl, a spatula and some small bulldog clips.

Obviously we need some leather, this is just over 2 ounce (just over 0.8mm) chrome tanned leather, but you can use 3 ounce and upholstery leather as well for bags of a similar weight.

I created a template for the job, it's 4.75 inches square (about 12cm) and I used a tin of tomato puree to draw around to round off the corners. The line of holes at the top are about one eigth of an inch (3mm or so) and they are set half an inch from the top (12.75mm).

I marked the image out using red pen so it could be seen, but you're better off using pencil. So mark out one side of the pouch and then flip the template over and mark out the other side. I also cut out a wall to be stitched in between. It's 17.5 inches long which gives me a 2.5 inch overlap at either end, it's depth is 1 and 1 eighth of an inch (think 29mm).

Then using a sharp knife I cut out the parts.

Having cut the parts out I found the center of the bases of each of the sides and the center of the middle wall and marked them.

I then punched the holes for the drawstring on the sides of the pouches.

Glue and clamp from the center of the pouch outwards. Do one side.

Then do the other. I used PVA for this, but you can use any reasonable contact adhesive or even superglue if you can find one with a brush applicator.

Next I mark where the holes for the strip of leather that goes around the edge are going to go, I use the template to get the correct height in comparison to the sides.

I now use the overstitch wheel to mark where the holes for the stitching are going to go, onc marked I use the pen to go over the marks (the leather is soft and when you flex it the marks seem to vanish if you don't mark with a pencil or pen).

I then use a round bladed awl to punch the holes (I was using harness needles, but if you use a glovers needle it's sharp enough to make its way through the leather without using an awl).

I then stitch around the whole of the pouch using a running stitch (this provides like a dotted line so you have stitch, space, stitch, space and so on). Make sure you leave a long tail, at least 8 inches.

I then double the running stitch so you have a continuous line of stitching (no gaps between the stitches and I end up where I started. Here I do 3 back stitches using both ends of the thread. This locks the thread in place and stops it from all coming loose.

Flip your work over and glue and clamp the other side in place before stitching.
    Last edited by leon-1; 21-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.

drawstring pouch continued..

Use the same method to stitch the other wall in place and you'll end up with a drawstring pouch that's now inside out.

When you turn the pouch the correct way out and have laced the top with either string or in this case leather thong this is what you'll have.

As you can see it makes quite a nice addition to the other bits.

This pouch is about the correct size for a strike - a - light, some flint and some amadou, but there is nothing to say that you cannot make a larger version of it for pretty much anything else you wish to place in it.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    What a great tutuorial Leon. Thanks for doing this, I'm sure Ashley will want to link to this from the main website.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

No problems Martin. I have a couple in mind, but it's getting the time. I currently have a lot of things to finish making for various clients and the chance to do this sort of fell in a dead spot. The next time I am making one of those pouches I'll get some better / clearer pictures and replace the ones currently there and possibly remember to include a punch for making holes in the leather.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Now that is how to make a pouch!!! superbly done good sir..very impressive.

Brilliant work mate and thanks for the tutorial.
    Learn a little, Enjoy a lot.

http://buzzardbushcraft.blogspot.com/

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Good stuff Leon.. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Good stuff Leon.. :0)
    Thanks Jon. Sorry about the pictures though, it's bugging me now, bet you can't tell

Nice tutorial! I need to dig my leatherworking tools out as soon as my finger has healed. I used to do a lot of leather work, but the last few years I haven't had much time for it.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Excellent
    Regards
    David