Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Do you get these kind of tourists over on your side of the drink?

In Florida, the answer is yes but the danger is not bush related...it's ocean related. Landlocked tourists drown every year in our beaches due to our treacherous rip currents. They panick and drown.They don't dare set foot in our scrub because fear of gators, poisonous snakes, feral pigs deter them. They are attracted to our coasts during their summer vacations because camping is miserable in the scrub during the summer. Even the locals like me stay out of the scrub until the temps lower in fall/winter.

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 28-08-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    Survival is about getting OUTof the bush safely, bushcraft is about getting INTO the bush and thriving.
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man." Nordic proverb...
    "the more you know, the less you need."
    Gal 2:20

We're an island nation. Yet 75% of the population are effective none swimmers !
    [

When I was living in Alaska the guys I worked with would dread tourist season as we never knew how Alaska was going to treat them. Every year there were accidents with tourists, tour boats going down, planes flying into mountains, train crashes, people lost in the bush, people falling off of the mountains etc.

One of my mates was full blown Athabascan and said Alyeska (Aleut word meaning "Great Land") didn't like strangers on her land. You have to earn the right to call yourself Alaskan and live there, then she will accept you. It took me one long hard winter to be accepted.