Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kit Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Realbark View Post
    Trangia do a .3l fuel bottle
    Yeah, I've seen this now, thanks. Still like the shape of the hip flask though. Seems to slide into a space in a pack easier than a round bottle.

Steve

Meths Storage...

Small hand sanitizer gel bottles hold 60ml (2 ounzes) of meths which normally bring 1 pint of water to a boil in the field and hold it there for a few minutes.

Cholesterol lowing yoghurt style drinks (Asda £1.20 for 4) come in 100ml screw top plastic bottles, I use them myself for storing and carrying meths, they work really well.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Tea Caddies to Billy cans...

Stainless steel tea/coffee caddies make great billy cans and standard size holds a little over 1 pint.

To make a handle for it, use a short length of braided bicycle brake wire secured each end with small electrical crimp connectors. Brake cable for 97 pence for 2 metres at Wilkinsons. Very strong.

Coke bottle to Water Filter...

Take a 2 litre pop bottle, cut off bottom 2 inches of the base, dril 6 small holes in the bottom & retain.

Hold main part of bottle upside down, place 2/3 cotton wool make-up cleaning pads inside up against the neck. A few cotton balls after that then a couple of plastic 'scrunchie' scourers then push the base (bottom first) into the bottle and all the way down to sandwhich the scourers and cotton wool tight up against the neck.

Make 2 small holes near the cut open end of the bottle, tie a piece of string to hang it up and/or carry it and you have a 1.5 litre capacity water filter and the screw cap acts as the 'tap' to drissle water out after it's filtered. Can use it to collect and carry water from stream, puddle etc to camp (just screw the cap up tight).

The bottle can be used to store cooking kit, stove, fuel etc as an example to 'fill up' the space in your kit.

Remember to boil the water before drinking.

Paul.
    Last edited by paul standley; 20-01-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    Coke bottle to Water Filter...

Take a 2 litre pop bottle, cut off bottom 2 inches of the base, dril 6 small holes in the bottom & retain.

Hold main part of bottle upside down, place 2/3 cotton wool make-up cleaning pads inside up against the neck. A few cotton balls after that then a couple of plastic 'scrunchie' scourers then push the base (bottom first) into the bottle and all the way down to sandwhich the scourers and cotton wool tight up against the neck.

Make 2 small holes near the cut open end of the bottle, tie a piece of string to hang it up and/or carry it and you have a 1.5 litre capacity water filter and the screw cap acts as the 'tap' to drissle water out after it's filtered. Can use it to collect and carry water from stream, puddle etc to camp (just screw the cap up tight).

The bottle can be used to store cooking kit, stove, fuel etc as an example to 'fill up' the space in your kit.

Remember to boil the water before drinking.

Paul.
    That's a good one. SRoM's does something similar in one of his Wild Foods vids, but he uses charcoal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rushton View Post
    well my only kit mod is some rolled up carboard and tape wrapped round my mora clipper sheath which holds my firesteel well.
    I've a piece of buckskin taped to my main Mora (510) which is really good for wiping/mini stropping.

Bird feeder to pot stand...

Wire mesh peanut bird feeders - great source of lightweight wire mesh for meths stove pot stands (Trangia/tatonka/pop can stoves etc.

My local Asda selling them off this week to clear the shelves - bargain at 25 pence each, got one tonight.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    That's a good one. SRoM's does something similar in one of his Wild Foods vids, but he uses charcoal as well.
    Yeah.... charcoal added between cotton wool layers is a good idea. Ideally needs to be Activated charcoal which can be purchased cheaply from aquarium shops but campfire charcoal crushed fine will work.

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    Tea Caddies to Billy cans...

Stainless steel tea/coffee caddies make great billy cans and standard size holds a little over 1 pint.

To make a handle for it, use a short length of braided bicycle brake wire secured each end with small electrical crimp connectors. Brake cable for 97 pence for 2 metres at Wilkinsons. Very strong.

Billy cans is a good one - got one myself. Re the brake cable - 2mm fencing or gardening wire is about £2.00 for fifty feet and can be used as bail handles, is easily turned to "S" hooks for fire chains and is malleable enough to turn to many tasks. Its strong enough not to break or unwind with a kilo or two on it.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely