Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kit Mods

Lightbulb Kit Mods

Hi Guys / Girls,

I thought I'd start a thread about kit modification (or using pieces of kit outside their intended purpose), as I thought this might be useful to some out their with bits 'n' pieces that are not being used but might have an alternate use.

Today, I dusted off the sewing machine and made a footprint for my Akto tent using an old - I mean really old - groundsheet that cost about 3 quid fifteen years ago, and saved myself 40 quid by doing so. I also mutilated my mKettle by removing three-quarters of the neoprene wrapper so I could use it on my hobo stove without melting it.

Have you any tips for re-using kit or making a cheaper alternative?

Steve

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Good idea on the Akto footprint Steve. I too use a small tarp as a footprint for my TerraNova Laser tent. It's light as a feather and a damn site cheaper than the OEM kit.

Matt, the Quarryman Moderator, has discovered that Lucozade/Red Bull shot bottles are the perfect size for storing meths for a brew. In fact, in laboratory (my kitchen) conditions I managed to boil a kettle with half a bottle full but in the field this didn't prove enough to get a decent boil.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Yeah, I had a problem with getting a fuel bottle the right size as well. The smallest I could find online (and in-store) was 600ml which would fuel my tatonka for a week. The Red Bull bottle sounds a good idea, I'm guessing they're what - 150ml? What's needed is something in between and as a temporary measure, I've got meths stored in a +/- 300ml hip flask, which seems the perfect size when combined with the fact that my burner can store unused fuel for transport with it's sealing lid. The only problem with the hip flask is the fact that I'm anal and want my fuel storage bottle to be labelled 'FUEL'! Might see if I can get a waterproof sticker for my laser printer or paint a red strip on it and get the Letraset and varnish out.

Steve

Actually Steve, the Red Bull shots are 60ml each. More than enough to boil over 500ml of water given reasonable conditions.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Whoa, that's tiny! OK for a brew I s'pose but you wouldn't get a three course a la carte out of it would you? One of the things that excites me the most about being outdoors is testing my culinary skills with minimal equipment. I've a friend who has a yacht out in the med and we're constantly trying to improve our 'one pot cooking'!

You certainly wouldn't but for that you may decide that a different fuel type would be appropriate. Certainly for long slow cooking I've heard that a wood fire is quite useful, although I appreciate that your friend may object to you lighting a fire on his yacht.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    You certainly wouldn't but for that you may decide that a different fuel type would be appropriate. Certainly for long slow cooking I've heard that a wood fire is quite useful, although I appreciate that your friend may object to you lighting a fire on his yacht.

Martin
    No open fires on the yacht (built 1965), but he's really happy that I gave him a Kelly Kettle a while back, which is brilliant for beach brews.

Wood is my fuel of choice and the burner's for when a wood fires not available / not allowed. On the subject of mods again, I cut out the steel gauze from a kitchen sieve/strainer and rolled it back on itself to use in the base of my hobo to improve air circulation. Does wonders and helps save fuel too as the fires much hotter.

Steve

well my only kit mod is some rolled up carboard and tape wrapped round my mora clipper sheath which holds my firesteel well.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

The plastic bottles for toiletries in hotels (and on ebay etc) hold enough for a brew. I have 3 x 50ml in my 375ml mug along with a tin opener and firelighter. Fits easily in my swedish cook kit along with a slightly smaller burner (the original military one would not fit with the cup in) and my tea etc.

I have also modded my crusader cooker with a couple of holes for cut down skewers to sit just below the top allowing a small meths stove to be used with the cooker and cup. I find the gel messy so dont use it. All packs into the mug and into a 58 pouch.
    Last edited by Realbark; 20-01-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Trangia do a .3l fuel bottle
    Time is precious - waste it wisely