Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: found these on a walk, can we eat them??

found these on a walk, can we eat them??

as the title says found these dunno what they are never seen these about before

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-01 16.55.50.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	9303

The picture is so bad that I would not trust any evaluation of their edibility based upon it. And since some mushrooms out there will kill you, but only after leaving you in an agony for days that most people cant even begin to comprehend, id say no, you can't eat them.

Actuyally, as a rule of thumb. If you do not have first hand knowledge of what kind of mushroom it is, stay away from them. That said, there are a few species out there that is very difficult to get wrong. We started with the birch bolette (Leccinum scabrum). It does not have any dangerous look-alikes. (there is one, I cant remeber which one, that will make any dish you put it in taste terrible, but will not harm you).

Else, Ade PM Ade, he is quite an expert on wild edibles :-)

Rune
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I'll just hammer my point home abiout identifying mushrooms by picture:

Here is two mushrooms.

Name:	spiss_giftsl_rsopp_5.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	9316 Name:  5390334-brown-birch-bolette-edible-free-wild-food.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  35.5 KB

One is a perfectly edible birch bolette, the other will kill you, but only after leaving you in agony for about 2 weeks, until you internal organs shuts down, and you die...lethal webcaps. They grow side by side in the forest. And are very easy to identify, but on this picture it's not so easy to see what kind they are, unless you really know. (the safe one is the one on the right)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

ah nice one thanks for the reply i didnt actually notice that the pic was that bad i managed to get a few pics and this one was not the one i was ment to upload ill try get the other one up its alot clearer

i just wasnt sure as i have never seen them before but know a few types of shroom that grow local that are really nice like the puff ball mushroom for one

oh heres the other pic if it helps id them

Name:	2013-07-01 16.55.44.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	9318

Hi MadZ it looks a little like Hedghog Fungus,,,,,,but wot do I now,I what till Ade comes on he'll now,you'll do well to get the small book Food for free.Be carfull.

cheers Tony, ill check it out, i have a book on shrooms somewhere but its not that good, thought i would ask here maybe someone can say a yay or nay from personal experience or greater knowledge than my own

Is it worth the risk unless you are sure, or is life just depressing...lol
    cheap at the supermarket?
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    If you have to ask what it is then you shouldn't risk eating it!

Please folks, just a reminder that although we don't ask you to refrain from asking for fungi identification, the replies given are only the opinions of our learned folk here based on limited information. The opinions should not be used as definitive.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    quote;" If you do not have first hand knowledge of what kind of mushroom it is, stay away from them"
    Regards
    David