Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What Pack does everyone use?

I recently bought a 65L pack (has a 22L smaller daypack zipped to the outside), and yes, filled it with most everything I have, which is actually a step down reduction for me. Lol, but seriously, I am paring down what I take, haven't taken it out yet, but have been enjoying loading it up. Honestly, it's a place to keep all my camping related stuff in the same place, will double as a suitcase when I need it too, but it's big enough to take clothes, tools, odds and ends, cooking stuff, wool blankets, a 'basha' when I get around to buying one, and such. Right now it's sort of a heavy 'Bug Out Bag', but when it comes time to travel light for a weekend away camping, I'll prioritize then as what to leave out and what to put in it's place.
    Last edited by CanadianMike; 19-01-2011 at 11:55 PM.

I have a US ALICE medium pack with frame for overnighters and such.

For a day hike, I use my French surplus gas mask bag/haversack.
    In it I can take my
    Brit surplus poncho,
    25 feet of 550,
    wooden spoon,
    ferro rod,
    BSA hand axe,
    food and play things for the day.

I also use my US MOLLE II canteen pouch with 1 qt canteen, stainless cup, stove, fire kit, repair kit. It is on a 2" wide web shoulder stap.

I use either a Snugpak Sleeka Forces 35 or a Rocketpak, depending on how long I'm out for, time of year etc. The Sleeka Forces 35 gets used by far the most often.

Large ALICE pack.. had it years. Rock solid, loads of room and cheap to buy.
    cheers
    Gareth

I have a Vango Sherpa 60+10L I think?

And i have a 40L swedish army rucksack, its really nice. Has leather straps and is canvas.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

i have a karrimor sabre 30 for day hikes or sumer over niters and a snugpack rocket and a plce bergan but allways seem to go back to the plce, would love a vulcan .

Has anyone used the Highlander Proforce 25 or 33 litre packs? My 65l german pack has now become my BOB/Get me home pack and im looking for something smaller for day use with the odd sleep out. Thanks.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

For my part, one pack only : Osprey Stratos 24 (actually 26 liters). Kinda agree with Gary Beaner, but I also like to have a minimum kit I always take with me, whatever the conditions.
    I'd say my basic kit (including a tarp, a can etc.) fits in a volume of about 6 or 7 liters, so my pack is far from being filled.
    With the camera, binoculars, sandwiches etc. there's plenty of room left in my pack.

Hobo
    most of you guys talk about sub 40l packs, how big are your sleeping bags? or do you strap them outside in a drybag etc? this thread seems a bit broad, how about 4 scenario's......what packs would you use for a 3-day jolly in numerous environments:
    Cold and Dry
    Cold and Wet
    Warm and Dry
    Warm and Wet
    these different scenarios will require different amounts and types of gear, for instance how would you manage a cold and wet 3 day jolly with a 40L pack?

im curious not critical.....
    "Its not man that defeats the Mountain, but the Mountain that changes man"

I have a 40-45 litre bag and not sure on the make may be some army one, not a highlander or vango not to sure
    bacon on the fire