Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What Pack does everyone use?

What Pack does everyone use?

What packs do you guys use? For short trips I usually use a BCB 25 Liter daysack, and I haven't decided what to get for longer trips yet.....was looking at the Lowe Alpine Salient and Saracen.

Ortlieb Track 35 for longer hikes and Ortlieb Zip City S (14,5 L) for daily use/longer hikes.

I like the safety in knowing that both my packs are 100% waterproof, even if dropped into water.

Hi I have a old Military PLCE thing at the moment but will change it later for a lighter model as it is a ton just on its own.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Really depends on what I'm doing. I have a Berghaus Vulcan Cyclops 2 for when I don't care about weight and I'm only carrying my kit in a short distance of say a mile. In fact, I guess I would use this most of the time as you don't have to fill it.

For nights out when I'm walking a long way in I have an Osprey Exos 58 pack. This is a fantastically light weight pack and copes well with loads up to about 15Kg. If things get much heavier than this you may be struggling but it is more than large enough to carry all you are likely to need for three or four nights out.

For day trips, I have a number or day sacks, which some may consider adequate for overnighters, like the Berghaus Dart 35. I can fit all my cooking equipment in here, along with brew kit, food, water and full waterproofs.

For an easy daytime bimble, I have the Fjallraven shoulder bag. This will fit my bushbuddy or other stove along with brew kit, sandwiches, water bottle, binoculars, camera etc etc.

All in all, I have about half a dozen packs that I use from time to time, depending on what I am doing and for how long.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I used to use a PLCE Long Back Bergen but found it uncomfortable and when it became wet it weighed a ton. I'm fairly tall at 6' 4" and found the Long Back Bergen hip belt around my waist and not my hips and so was useless. I believe it is meant to be worn over webbing which is why the hip belt doesn't sit on the hips. I also found that at 100L I was filling it up with everything I owned and carrying too heavy a load.

Nowadays I use a Highlander Pro-Force Trooper 45L, which I bought after seeing Ashley's review, and this suits me perfectly. I use it on all excursions of whatever length and find it comfortable and just the right size and shape for my needs. If I am out only for a day then I will use a small Hi-Gear Glendale 20L which I have had for many years and has outlasted many other day sacks I have owned.
    Last edited by robin; 19-01-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Recently I changed from a pack weighing 3Kg to one weighing 880g,what a difference.I still carry the same amount of kit albeit lighter stuff.
    I changed from a berghaus vulcan to a golite jam2,I use this as a daysack and as a backpacking sack for trips of over a week.

For day works a 35L Lowe Alpine thats I have had for donkeys, for anything long a 65L Karrimor that I got when i was 18, lasted well sofar so not going to upgrade. If it works why change it?

But would love a Lowe Alpine Sting if I could justfy the cost.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Take it or leave it?

To quote the saying: 'The bigger your rucksack the more ya kitchen sink it' Whenever I'm packing my bag I keep looking at things and asking 'do I really need that?' and more often than not the answer is no. I'm wondering what bits of kit have done countless miles in peoples rucksacks and never seen the light of day
    I guess I'm asking.....If I'm going to spend time learning wild foods, fire by friction, the habitats of animals, flint knapping etc.......do I really need something to sit on? does my cup need to be titanium? my trousers Ventile? do i need to know the burning efficiency of one flatpack stove compared to another?
    Anyway.........I'm sure you get the idea.

Ps, this is only light hearted before I upset anyone!!
    Last edited by GaryBeaner; 19-01-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Forgot summit
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

For quick bushy over nighters I carry a Sabre 35 or 45 depending on the time of year and whether I hauling my hammock and underblankets etc. For lightweight weekends in the hills it's a GoLite Peak 40L.
    To be honest though most of my trips these days are canoe based so it's 90L dry bags and waterproof boxes etc

Tramp
    EuroHike weekender 45 modified with a few extra pockets and straps does me for day out or week long trips only paid £6 in a bootsale so its a bargain lol