Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just found a really nice looking woodland about 20miles from me.

Sounds like a nice place to camp, I mean to visit

A nature reserve is a little high risk and wouldn't advise it meself. I tend to look for places where no-one appears to have walked through much. These woods can be very small, perhaps long and thin and not very inviting at first. But it's these little scraps of woodland that can be some of the best.
    I've tried to ask land owners in the past and even offered a little money but they don't need and it and I've been treated with abuse and threats so I've stopped asking. What's that phrase "It's easer to ask forgiveness than permission"?
    Generally the land owners have never liked having peasants walk across what they like to think is their land ever since they put the fences up to stop us in the 17th century land enclosure act.
    So, learn the law and try not to break it tooo much.

@ adz... in regards to your last comment, iv worked on farms since i was about 14 and still do to this day, as i imagine alot of guys on here have... take it from me farmers can use all the help they can get, and if its free they'll take your arm off, you cant really 'muck it up'... offer to help round the farm, do the jobs they dont enjoy themselves like stacking bails etc and they'll give you permission.. (especially if your shooting/ferreting etc as it takes care of their pests too.).. but bare in mind if you mess up and leave a mess like rubbish etc (im sure you wouldnt anyway) your name will get round and you wont find permission in your area again... seen it happen with air rifle hunters many times.

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    A nature reserve is a little high risk and wouldn't advise it meself. I tend to look for places where no-one appears to have walked through much. These woods can be very small, perhaps long and thin and not very inviting at first. But it's these little scraps of woodland that can be some of the best.
    I've tried to ask land owners in the past and even offered a little money but they don't need and it and I've been treated with abuse and threats so I've stopped asking. What's that phrase "It's easer to ask forgiveness than permission"?
    Generally the land owners have never liked having peasants walk across what they like to think is their land ever since they put the fences up to stop us in the 17th century land enclosure act.
    So, learn the law and try not to break it tooo much.
    That was my thoughts originally because its hard to find land owner on random/non-farm land.

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    @ adz... in regards to your last comment, iv worked on farms since i was about 14 and still do to this day, as i imagine alot of guys on here have... take it from me farmers can use all the help they can get, and if its free they'll take your arm off, you cant really 'muck it up'... offer to help round the farm, do the jobs they dont enjoy themselves like stacking bails etc and they'll give you permission.. (especially if your shooting/ferreting etc as it takes care of their pests too.).. but bare in mind if you mess up and leave a mess like rubbish etc (im sure you wouldnt anyway) your name will get round and you wont find permission in your area again... seen it happen with air rifle hunters many times.

Thnx bud, I'm definitely going to give it a go when/if I get a chance at some point. There is some plenty of farmers fields not too far away from me but not many farm houses so will have a good look about see if any are near wooded areas check the places out. It would be a dream to have a nice place with permission
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"