Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just found a really nice looking woodland about 20miles from me.

Just found a really nice looking woodland about 20miles from me.

Been looking at google maps for my area for ages looking for places walking or bus rides from me (Cant drive yet) and all I have come across is some small wooded areas and copses etc so nothing too exciting.

Ideally I have been looking for something closeish that I can just jump on bus or short train that has everything like water source, fungi, wild life, plants, decent tree's etc and not really come up with anything suitable because of sizes/locations etc until I found something about 20m away which happens to be a nature reserve and looks quite nice and basically has everything I have been looking for. Somebody even has a blog and seems to go there once a month and has some nice pics. There is also some other wooded areas nearby.

I think I'm just going to go for a scout about first, have a nice walk, brew, take some pics/videos etc and then hopefully have some nice overnighters.

So what is the score with nature reserves, Do you visit/camp in any, Are they usually visited daily by manager(s)/ranger(s) etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

So fingers crossed I may finally have a nice place to go not too far away.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    So what is the score with nature reserves

Surely the answer is in the title? Nature Reserve...reserved for nature. I may be wrong but I thought the whole idea was to protect the area for the benefit of the various species living there. Most nature reserves, certainly round this way have designated paths and areas where the public may walk during daylight hours but people are discouraged from wandering around and certainly camping overnight where their presence puts pressure on the nocturnal life of the reserve.

Disturbance of the reserved areas will result eventually in the wildlife leaving or certainly decreasing in numbers...then it's no longer a Nature Reserve..and probably ripe for...development..

I know what a nature reserve is I was just wondering about doing an overnight now and again and the chances of been caught. I was asking for advice from that side.

The nature reserve is open to public and people are welcome to wonder about in it, as far as I am aware there are no footpaths, only small trails and people are not restricted to those so its not as if the site is closed or resricted areas.

I will be very conciencious about where I go/ what I do as to not damage anything and to leave no trace.

Just wondered if these types of places were visited daily by manager or something?
    Last edited by ADz; 27-06-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    I know what a nature reserve is I was just wondering about doing an overnight now and again and the chances of been caught. I was asking for advice from that side.
    If you are asking about the chances of being caught, then I have to assume that you already know that you would be in the wrong for going there and camping ....
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    " doing an overnight now and again and the chances of been caught. I was asking for advice from that side."

Ah! If you understand what the purpose of a Nature Reserve is, then I'll leave it to someone else to advise you..

Yes of course, same as anywhere without permission. Unfortunatley I'm in England and not a very wooded area of East Yorkshire so options are limited.
    Last edited by ADz; 27-06-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Wildlife and countryside act 1981 and the Animal Welfare Act 2006 - I suggest you make youself familiar with them. Also you need to look at a map not google to see what the access rights are.

Not only that bit there are a raft of other laws you may break by not doing your research.

That aside listen to saxonaxe - its a nature reserve stay out of it except to watch wildlife. Unless the landowner/tenant gives you express permission to camp which is very doubtful.
    Last edited by Silverback; 27-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    [

park rangers on nearby reserves to the woods i work in really do kick off if they find people camping, if i were you id find some woodland which wasnt pre-set aside as a special place for nature, the problem also lies in that if it is privately owned woodland you could get done for tresspass, at the least

Ok I think ill give the camping a miss and find somewhere else and just enjoy the walk and quick brew.

Just got excited as it looks really nice and haven't seen anywhere else close like it.

There are some other non reserves near it that may be suitable.

Thnx for replies.

Never mind that there's the damage that could be done to the reputation of bushcrafters everywhere as joe bloggs diddly bops through the bush wearing his NB T shirt telling the ranger that the good folks of NB told him it was ok.
    Last edited by Silverback; 27-06-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    [