Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Routine

Routine

Hi everyone

My usual routine when I would camp would be arrive early, walk to secluded forest, sit watch any wildlife and generally take the day in then later turn my thoughts to camp and the setting up, gather and a chop fire wood then food and settle in for the night.

My question is with brushcraft what's people's own routines of practicing or is it generally random?
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir

I used to arrive with an all too heavy pack in the same kind of wooded location after a long walk too tired to do anything but sit down and make a brew.
    I soon found out that I too easily lost my stuff in the leaf litter.
    Now I spend about half an hour setting up a small area by first setting my tarp, then sweeping an area of leaf litter under it to make a bed with later and finally sitting on it and making a brew.
    Then I go about the other jobs like digging a small toilet, getting fire wood etc

Sounds about right, although I'm an apprentice, I would always start with making a fire
    Bushcraft newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletman View Post
    Sounds about right, although I'm an apprentice, I would always start with making a fire
    Ya first things first get a brew on.

Depends but usually set up camp first then start on more mundane tasks
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    Ya first things first get a brew on.
    + 1 here. Brew first after the usual trek to camp. Make sure you have your brew kit in a separate pocket, or near the top of your kit, then you won't lose any kit in the leaf litter, as it should all still be contained in your pack.

While drinking the brew, I try to familiarise myself with the immediate area a little. It all helps when the daylight fades

Once the brew is finished, I have a scout around for a suitable spot. Either two trees that lend themselves to the hammock, or a level piece of ground for the tarp.
    Set up tarp first, then sleeping kit in case it starts to rain.

Hunt around for firewood stocks if needed, then maybe think about getting the fire going for some food (I may have made a small fire for the brew already, but nothing wasteful yet).
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I like my tarp up first then if it rains there's somewhere dry to go. I also hang my pack off of the most suitable tree onto which my tarp is attached - saves all that bending over.

If I'm with Terry or Mike then I like to go and take the mikey out of their tents, otherwise fire, brew and food.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Under My Basha View Post
    Hi everyone

My usual routine when I would camp would be arrive early, walk to secluded forest, sit watch any wildlife and generally take the day in then later turn my thoughts to camp and the setting up, gather and a chop fire wood then food and settle in for the night.

My question is with brushcraft what's people's own routines of practicing or is it generally random?
    Hello Under My Basha

Well every trip it is a little bit different but nothing is random. We try to arrive at our first campsite by about noon time on the first day. This means that I have been driving all night and have been paddling since about sunup. We then clear the bush away so we can pitch our tent. After the tent is set up we clear some more bush about a 100m away from the tent for our cooking and eating area. We then hang our food bag. As you can imagine we are are very tired by now so we sleep until supper time. After supper we'll have a fire then turn in early because we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow.

Because I'm completely new to bushcraft what practices do you always do or does that depend on location etc? I'm really after starting wood craving, looking at posts here I had no idea the level of detail that can be achieved.
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Under My Basha View Post
    Because I'm completely new to bushcraft what practices do you always do or does that depend on location etc? I'm really after starting wood craving, looking at posts here I had no idea the level of detail that can be achieved.
    I'm not sure that I understand your question. The only “wood carving” thing that I always do, is to make some poles and pegs for setting up my tarp in the cooking area.