Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bushcrafter scouters

Quote Originally Posted by tent peg View Post
    I would love to get involved as I owe my love of the outdoors to scouting as an organisation. just worry that I don't have the time to commit regularly. Can you just help out now and again?
    btw, im a teacher and crb'ed to the max!
    You do what you can with the time that you have. All of the Leaders within our Group know that if something comes up then cover is there to make sure the evenings continue. I am self employed and can never guarantee that I can be back in time for the evenings entertainment, others are the same. It does depend on the Group arrangements of course as some are better than others, ours works well because we make it that way.

As for the rest of the requirements - CRB will need to be done again for the Association but of course that's only a formality. I was the same having been a teacher myself so always seems that the processes repeat themselves. Then of course there is the obligatory Safeguarding training and a range of training modules to undertake, but that can be done over quite a period of time and not that difficult. Then what you do beyond that is up to you really. We have set up a DofE group to run with the Explorer Section and are undertaking the HML Qualification but that is because we have chosen to do so.

At the end of the day you do what your personal circumstances allow you to do.

The local one to me has shut down, 1st flint. Nearest is mold and it's something I have been thinking about. It's either that or sign up for the TA, though I'm hoping my previous 7 years was enough to learn me not to sign up again......... Got the itch........
    Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    You do what you can with the time that you have. All of the Leaders within our Group know that if something comes up then cover is there to make sure the evenings continue. I am self employed and can never guarantee that I can be back in time for the evenings entertainment, others are the same. It does depend on the Group arrangements of course as some are better than others, ours works well because we make it that way.

As for the rest of the requirements - CRB will need to be done again for the Association but of course that's only a formality. I was the same having been a teacher myself so always seems that the processes repeat themselves. Then of course there is the obligatory Safeguarding training and a range of training modules to undertake, but that can be done over quite a period of time and not that difficult. Then what you do beyond that is up to you really. We have set up a DofE group to run with the Explorer Section and are undertaking the HML Qualification but that is because we have chosen to do so.

At the end of the day you do what your personal circumstances allow you to do.
    thanks, what's the best way to approach them?

Try this first http://scouts.org.uk/get-involved/ or ring the Scout Information Centre who's number can bve found on the Scout Association site.

Personally I tipped up to drop my eldest off and said "I teach first aid if it would be useful" and they basically said "here's a woggle"
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Bushcrafter scouters

thanks, what's the best way to approach them?
    Just get in touch with your local Group. Sometimes the hardest step is the first one. Once the introductions are over with, and they have an idea of your outdoor interests, they will probably beg you to join! There is a big drive to get Scouting back to the old ways of 'outdoors and active' but many Groups don't have Leaders with enough experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    There is a big drive to get Scouting back to the old ways of 'outdoors and active' but many Groups don't have Leaders with enough experience.
    That's true. There is (depending on area) also a massive lack of available training unless of course you are in the retired, semi retired or self unemployed bracket but thankfully most areas are not like that.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    That's true. There is (depending on area) also a massive lack of available training unless of course you are in the retired, semi retired or self unemployed bracket but thankfully most areas are not like that.
    Training has always been a bit of a sore subject. Thankfully our Leaders, myself included, decided to do something about it. Rather than deal with the bureaucracy and head in the sand attitude that plagued our District, we went further afield! The Modular Training is now handled very well by our Akela as she has become a Training Advisor and after the nightmare of trying to get our Nights Away Permits we had the County Assessor visit our camps and I was invited to become a Nights Away Advisor myself, which I am in the process of doing now. We are also undertaking our HML Qualification a little further afield.

There is always a way, sometimes you just need to use a little stealth and cunning to get what you need. If anyone needs a little help or advice with regards to the world of Scouting, this thread will do very nicely as a portal to gaining answers. Always willing to help if I can, and if I can't there is always someone who will.

That's brilliant Jus. I started as an ASL before I joined this forum and still have not met my TA although have managed to get some modules done.

After several broken promises from the alleged TA to come and meet us on a troop night eventually I was told I would have to make other arrangements. This was an improvement as for the first year there wasn't one at all. But working full time and also being a first responder, frankly I have better things to do than chase people who can't be bothered.

Still I am finishing them off on their Emergency Aid stage 3 on Friday + some bonus AED training so it's all good.

jumped in, called my local group and I've been invited down for a chat, i'd like to start off as a "helper" see how it goes!