Thread: light my fire firesteel and firedust review

light my fire firesteel and firedust review

hi all, this is just a quick review i've done on the new model of the light myr fire scout firesteel and maya dust. it was quite a windy day so i was impressed with the tinder. please subscribe if you want mroe bushcraft, airgun hunting and outdoors[ vids.

Aaron
    Last edited by Aaron Rushton; 16-01-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Well done on the Vid Aaron...
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hey Aaron, good video mate and well done on getting a flame on the Maya Dust. It was a nice honest review and well filmed, looking forward to seeing more soon.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thank you for the video.

The Scout model is my favourite size aswell; small enough to fit in a pocket - with plenty of strikes to last you a long time.

I agree; the old model striker is more effective than the old one. Generally I am not very fond of the version 2.0 firesteel; the new "ergonomic" design is, imho, much less ergonomic than the old one.

As far as the Maya Dust; I have used it a few times - and I must admit that I am not all that impressed. If you compare it to cotton wool, which is much cheaper and easier to come by, I find the Maya Dust way too hard to light. May Dust may burn a bit longer and warmer, but I have never had problems lighting a fire with cotton wool.

I am a big fan of Light My Fire's products. But, not so much the re-designed Firesteel 2.0, neither the Maya Dust.
    Last edited by JEEP; 16-01-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    Thank you for the video.

I agree; the old model striker is more effective than the old one. Generally I am not very fond of the version 2.0 firesteel; the new "ergonomic" design is, imho, much less ergonomic than the old one.
    I had problems with the 'edge' rounding on my old style striker and used a hacksaw blade as a striker for a while but gone back to my old striker again. I re-ground both edges at a slight angle to create a 'burr' and handed to suit me (I'm left handed). It works great now and i've got a choice of two edges to use.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

thanks for the replies guys. i was under a tarpaulin at the time so sorry about the sound. by the way, the sound 3:47 is a duck as i have 6 of them wanerding around my garden probducing eggs for me. paul, thats why i prefer the back of my knife, as i can keep it nice and square with a sharpener.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

good video Aaron ,dont worry m8 im not very good wit my firesteel either takes loads of practise me tinks
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars