Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you a bushcrafter?

Quote Originally Posted by HillBill View Post
    No one is a bushcrafter per se, the name is just a single word to describe a vast array of knowledge and skill.

For example..... the person who goes out into the woods and spends a night or two is a wild camper. They may use bushcraft skills and knowledge to aid them, but all your doing is wild camping. Another person may go out to the woods to collect natural materials for crafts such as carving/basket weaving etc, they use knowledge of the natural world and practical skills to do what they want to do. Both come under the umbrella that is "bushcraft" yet they are totally seperate things.s, Bushcraft isnt something that exists on its own. Its something that is applied to other activities, not an activity in itself. If we had to learn everything involved in "bushcraft" to be called one, then theres not a man alive who could call themselves a bushcrafter.

Not long ago, it didnt have a distinction because it was just ordinary life to most people.

You don't need to have started a fire by friction or knap flint, if anyone says you do, ignore them, they are deluding themselves and just shows how little they understand the concept of "bushcraft" Everything that exists today is only modern bushcraft, because if all we had was bushcraft in the first place,. then everything we have now is just the evolution of bushcraft. Its evidence of a learning curve as we have learnt to utilise natural materials in more and more diverse ways. Everything that exists comes from the natural world. Even man made things like plastic, come from nature. We have just learnt processes that allow us to change one thing in another.

To me bushcraft just means " a practical working knowledge of nature and the natural world"

As to the 1 to 10 scoring system......... with all there is to know and do, i doubt Ray Mears would score higher than a 3 and i'm being generous.
    We need a "like" button on here...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post

Attachment 7866
    Last edited by Silverback; 15-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    [

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by EJS View Post
    ok how about this one:

scale of 1 - 5 on each of the following: 1 - absolute begineer but with some ideas and 5 - competent, confident and able to teach others easily and correctly.

on each of the following:

Ability to create and maintain safe shelter
    Abiltity to navigate, orientate and manouver (spelling) in most real situations
    Ability to harvest food from your (wild) surroundings safely and effectively
    Abiltity to utilise safe drinking water from outdoors sources
    Ability to create new items from scratch/recycle where needed, items that are paramount to bushcrat survival
    Ability to blend in and be one with your surroundings and environment
    Ability to take pleaseure and create fun and fulfilment whilst out in the wild and great outdoors...

what ya reckon?

OK I'll bite (EJS sets hook).

“create and maintain safe shelter “ I done this a few times (winter and summer) and spent the night in them warm and dry so I'll say 4.

“navigate, orientate and manouver (spelling) in most real situations” People have comment on my ability. For the last 10 years I haven't even taken a map with me when going far into the Canadian wilderness. It's my best skill. 5

“harvest food from your (wild) surroundings safely and effectively” Animal 4 plant 1

“utilise safe drinking water from outdoors sources” I have done this lots 4

“create new items from scratch/recycle where needed, items that are paramount to bushcrat survival” 1

“blend in and be one with your surroundings and environment” One time I crept to within 30 feet of two elk. Because of the thick bush I wasn't able to make my shot (bow). Them I spooked them and they slowly walked away, not seeing me but knowing something was there. I went home empty handed. 4 (I normally hunt from a tree stand.)

“take pleaseure and create fun and fulfilment whilst out in the wild and great outdoors...” I've been diagnose with clinical depression. 2.5 this is as happy as I get.

Trapper

I don't think I could pigeon hole myself, I have certain strengths and bloomin obvious weaknesses. To date the only fish I've caught was a plaice, by hand! It was in a pool left by the tide, we had it for tea (little brother & me, after a warning from Dad that if it wasn't alive when I got it we would be ill) That was 34 years ago, since when I have been sporadically out there feeding succulent morsels to all manner of sea creatures that refuse to pay me in kind!
    That is the extreme of my weaknesses... unfortunately it is not alone

Rob.

Nutshell, nope I'm not a bushcrafter, but I do enjoy learning the knowledge and simple creativity of bushcrafting, and I am gearing myself up to camp "lighter" (leaving the tent at home), as in a large heavy back pack and a cooler full of beer.

Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Nutshell, nope I'm not a bushcrafter, but I do enjoy learning the knowledge and simple creativity of bushcrafting, and I am gearing myself up to camp "lighter" (leaving the tent at home), as in a large heavy back pack and a cooler full of beer.
    I'm with you on this one Mike, I've always enjoyed learning new skills.Do I enjoy practicing bushcraft skills? Yes. Am I a bushcrafter? No.

You missed off the most important one

Knowing what will kill you, followed by the second most important, knowing what will harm you or make you ill. After that, EVERYTHING'S edible

Far better to know what not to eat, than what to eat. Makes things so much simpler

Quote Originally Posted by EJS View Post
    ok how about this one:

scale of 1 - 5 on each of the following: 1 - absolute begineer but with some ideas and 5 - competent, confident and able to teach others easily and correctly.

on each of the following:

Ability to create and maintain safe shelter
    Abiltity to navigate, orientate and manouver (spelling) in most real situations
    Ability to harvest food from your (wild) surroundings safely and effectively
    Abiltity to utilise safe drinking water from outdoors sources
    Ability to create new items from scratch/recycle where needed, items that are paramount to bushcrat survival
    Ability to blend in and be one with your surroundings and environment
    Ability to take pleaseure and create fun and fulfilment whilst out in the wild and great outdoors...

what ya reckon?

Trapper
    yeah...again it was just a quick thought to go with the OP...no worries, not completing a full risk assessment here

a bit of fun even....