Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on waterproof socks

Question Thoughts on waterproof socks

Get a good pair of waterproof boots/shoes.

That has been my thinking when it comes to waterproof boots and I do have four good pairs, two for waling, two for work.

But a combination of frequent, saturating rain and the fact I am walking a bit slower and have a bit of difficulty avoiding puddles and boggy ground have resulted in me noticing that a bit of water is starting to sneak its way in, whether walking or at work (and my work boots are new, gore-tex top of the range affair, which obviously work paid for, not me). So I am wondering if waterproof socks are something to invest in?

I could just buy a pair of wellies with a walking sole, but with my recent run of luck, I'd probably end up with trench foot, if I did get some, so I'm about 60% convinced a waterproof sock, used in combination with a reasonably waterproof boot, is the way to go.

From my googling, waterproof socks seem to fall into groups. Used military surplus gore-tex boot liners and technical, triple layer civvy hiking socks, made by folks like Sealskinz and Trekmates.

While the gore-tex boot liners appeal to me (as they are cheap and I'm a tight as a duck's derrière) as I have yet to find any that are either new or unissued, I'm not going to touch them. I've happily bought lots of second hand and surplus gear, but I draw the line at underwear and socks.

The technical hiking socks appeal to the infrequently used rational part of my brain and are not too shockingly expensive, starting around the £20 mark. But before I begin to psyche myself up to part with at least TWENTY POUNDS FOR A PAIR OF SOCKS, it would be handy to hear from anyone who has a pair and would like to share their thoughts on them.
    Or from anyone who has worn the gore-tex boot liners and rates them.

Or just general thoughts on waterproof footwear, as I always enjoy such conversations.
    Many thanks,

Colin
    Ansum La

Hate them...with a passion, and I will always try to get none gore tex/waterproof boots.....I use a pair of none WP lined Meindls which in 10 years have only leaked once, through the top on a river crossing
    [

That is kind of where I'm coming from. Good boots have kept my feet dry in the past and on the few occasions water has got it, I've tended to be knee deep in the stuff at the time.

But at the moment, being not so fleet of foot and having to slowly stumble rather that swiftly skip through small bodies of water, I'm finding my boots are not quite up to the challenge, so I'm open to the possibility of waterproof socks helping with the battle, if anyone has experience of them doing so.
    Ansum La

I love waterproof socks, after the wetest year I can remember I invested some money in them. I have very good Merrel boots, but after 48hrs in the woods they just didnt stand upto the water. I also have some army boots which are better for keeping the water out but not so good for walking. The waterproof socks allow me to wear trainers if I like and not worry about wet feet.

Just to add to that Colin in the early part of my other 'career' (which you know about) I used seal skinz, they ripped my feet to bits (with a liner obviously). I do suffer from sweaty feet though and the MVP linings are just not for me....I did find a use for the seal skinz socks though...when my dog cut open his paw it made a really good waterproof cover to keep his dressings dry.

Another thought, WP socks wont keep your feet dry if your trousers wet out and water runs down your legs into your boot tops, I'm a fan of gaiters too, mind you its not surprising living where I do...Wainwright wasnt particularly kind when describing the hills and moors of my home county
    [

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Hate them...with a passion, and I will always try to get none gore tex/waterproof boots.....I use a pair of none WP lined Meindls which in 10 years have only leaked once, through the top on a river crossing
    heh... same with my Meindls for the past 3. Was wearing them during a paintball game where I was shin deep in the smelliest bog ever. Leaked through the top but... can't complain about that

I love my sealskinz socks but only wear them on the motorbikes, so I don't know what they are like for long distance walking, I suspect from wearing them as I do that I would probably side with Sapper on them not being comfortable.. hope it helps
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

I wear a thin pair of normal socks underneith mine, never had any problems with my feet from them. first used them for mountain biking, I really hate having wet feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    I love waterproof socks, after the wetest year I can remember I invested some money in them. I have very good Merrel boots, but after 48hrs in the woods they just didnt stand upto the water. I also have some army boots which are better for keeping the water out but not so good for walking. The waterproof socks allow me to wear trainers if I like and not worry about wet feet.
    What socks do you have fella?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Just to add to that Colin in the early part of my other 'career' (which you know about) I used seal skinz, they ripped my feet to bits (with a liner obviously). I do suffer from sweaty feet though and the MVP linings are just not for me....I did find a use for the seal skinz socks though...when my dog cut open his paw it made a really good waterproof cover to keep his dressings dry.

Another thought, WP socks wont keep your feet dry if your trousers wet out and water runs down your legs into your boot tops, I'm a fan of gaiters too, mind you its not surprising living where I do...Wainwright wasnt particularly kind when describing the hills and moors of my home county
    Shredded feet when walking are definitely to be avoided. I guess if the membrane in such socks does keep water out, then it must also keep sweat in, so if you are prone to sweaty feet when walking, your feet are going to get wet.

I'm not prone to overly sweaty feet, so such socks might not be so harsh on my feet. I guess the only way to determine if these socks will knacker my feet as they did to you or play nicely with them, as they have with Stamp, is to try a pair. Back to square one then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger004 View Post
    I love my sealskinz socks but only wear them on the motorbikes, so I don't know what they are like for long distance walking, I suspect from wearing them as I do that I would probably side with Sapper on them not being comfortable.. hope it helps
    So in your experience, they do keep the water out, but, biking aside, might not be suited to anything more strenuous than pottering about a damp camp.

More nays than yays, so far.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback fellas

If anyone else would like to chip in their experience of using WP socks, either for or against, please do
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    I wear a thin pair of normal socks underneith mine, never had any problems with my feet from them. .
    different strokes for different folks..... MVP membranes make my feet sweat like mad and my feet get wet from that.
    [